Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Regular Braxton Hicks & Latent first stage of Labour?

Hi ladies,

I've been getting braxton hicks since around 20 weeks but very on/off and mild but this past 36 hours I've had them at more regular intervals and more frequently.

I'm keeping a bit of an eye as I know this can be the start of the early first stage of labour (before active labour) but wondered if any of the 2nd timers labours had started like this? I'd be interested to hear if anyone started like this and how long you noticed them for.

I don't feel I will go into labour yet but I do wonder if this could be the start of a one to two week run up to the real thing.image

Replies

• Options
    I haven't had any so I think bubs will stay put for a long while image ooh maybe Baby tuliprose will arrive sooner than you think xx
  • Options
    i have been having very strong, regular braxton hicks since thurs, sunday cramping started, monday some of my plug come away and tuesday i get taken in to check me over as still strong tightenings and stronger cramping, a few mild contractions on monitor, have a speculum to be told she not sure if my waters are leaking. Have been kept in for observation and given worlds biggest pad to wear haha. Went toilet cause could feel something as was a damp yellowy liquid in the pad, had a feel and water was dripping down my fingers (sorry tmi lol) went and found nurse and she came and checked and indeed my waters are slowly leaking and im in slow labour!! Im still in shock lol. Been told it could be hours, days or weeks lol. But my induction is in 2 weeks 2 days so thats the longest i have to wait! I would defo say keep an eye on things image x
  • Options
    Hi bump buddy, this is my third time and as you know i have been told i am in latent labour,but i was induced with my other two so not sure if thats whey i am getting them early as i have forced into labour before.The doctors did say it can go on for weeks,days or hours depending each person.x
  • Options
    My latent phase lasted 2.5 days Tulip but was already a week overdue when it started. How are things this morning?

I would just keep an eye on things and if pain intensifies, start timing things. If, as ever, if you're unsure about anything, call your midwife or triage/ labour ward.

xxx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.

It did peak in the early hours of the morning when I got two painful "contractions" but its gone back to braxton hicks so I think its just my body practising. Phew!

It was good in a way to feel the 'period pain like' contractions though as I think this is a good example of what to expect. In a way I feel more relaxed knowing my body will know what to do in a few weeks time!image

Candimum I hope it doesn't last too long for you hon xx