Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bedtime routines...

Has anone started this yet?

As Flo's coming up to 4 weeks, I'm thinking of trying to get her into more of a night time routine (if possible with bf!) At the mo she pretty much feeds all evening then has a top up (formula by cup) at aroung 10:30/11pm followed by more time at the breast then goes off til around 4/5ish, feeds, and up sometime between 8-10am.

Hubby and I would love some of our evenings back as our toddler is asleep around 7pm, it's just Florence we need to sort.

What do you do? Routines, times etc? xxx

Replies

• Mia is v similar in that shes on the boob a lot in the evening lol. At the min she goes down for a sleep around 8 and if she doesn't wake by 9.30 we lift her for her bath if shes having one and her last feed then she goes until around 4am as well.

I was thinking on Friday ( as I don't have to be up early to get ds ready fpor school on sat) we might bath her around 7.30 then I'll feed her as normal then just let her sleep on and see what time she wakes. I'm kind of hoping she might wake for a feed at around midnight then go through until morning, wishful thinking :lol:
  • We normally bath Abby just before her 7pm/8pm feed. We have just put her into her cot so she has her feed and goes down normally between 8pm-9pm. She normally has a feed around 11-12 ish and will then sleep until 5am-6am. She will sometimes wake around 3am but this is becoming quite rare now xx
  • All sounding good ladies! I would realy like her to go down earlier but unfortunately my low supply of bm barely fills her up (problems with lost weight etc, hence top ups) perhaps I'll try the top up earlier and just see what happens.

Thanks for the replies x
  • Hi Ladies,

First of all how do you get your lo's to sleep so long at night!?!

Oliver wakes every two to two and a half hours and is a similar age to your lo's.

However, despite this I was going to start a bedtime routine next week. So was going to start bedtime routine at 7ish consisting of a feed, bath, story etc. with a feed at 11ish.

SB x
  • Are you bf SB? I think that tends to not keep the babies going as long which could be why he's not going so long. Have you heard of the dreamfeed? How does Oliver feed in the evenings? I think Flo does the whole 'cluster feeding' thing so that she can go for a longer stretch at night. It's almost like she's force feeding herself.

Also, all babies are different, he may just need feeding this often then one day he'll surprise you and go for a longer stretch! x
  • All babies are different hun. Megan was the worst sleeper ever. I asked my HV about waking her for a feed at 3am but she said not to. Abby feeds every 2-2.5 hours through the day and takes 5oz at each feed. This seems to be enough to get her through the night. She did feed at 1am this morning because I woke her, she hadn't had a feed since 8pm and I was concerned she wouldn't wake for one. She got up this morning at 6am.

I feel very lucky that she sleeps through, Megan didn't for so so long. I am starting to feel a little more human now xx
  • Mia clusterfeeds in the evening hun and that keeps her going. Its true theyre all different, I've bf all 3 of my kids and my other daughter was just the same as Mia but my ds was a terrible sleeper and woke constantly for feeding through the night!

We did bath at 7.30 tonight, I fed Mia and she went to sleep at 8.30. I'm sitting waiting now to see what time she wakes for a feed (Its 10.40 now!) Hope this experiment doesn't go t*ts up :lol:
  • #how did it go Fran?

Flo did well last night; went down at 11pm, slept til 5am (although my boobs woke me at 4:30 so had to express a bit) back to sleep at 6am and just woke at 10 for her feed. I'm pleased with that but still basically fed her from 6-11pm - it's hard work!!
  • Well she didn't wake until 12.30am, had a feed then back down until 6am. I dont think she took enough though as she wanted fed again at 7.15! She had a feed at 10 and is still sleeping now from that.

I'm not sure if I should try lifting her for a feed at 11 tonight and see how that goes?
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Oliver is bottle fed now as I had mastitus and my milk dried up. Like your lo's he does feed quite a bit during the evening however, last night he fed loads til 11pm and then we had a 3 hour sleep and a 2 hour feed so he is getting better. Also, the 3am feed he only took a small amount so hopefully he will drop this feed.

I just wondered if I was doing something wrong but as he is gaining weight and is happy then I will carry on doing what I am doing. I am also going to try some different bottles as he suffers with wind!

SB x
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Oliver is bottle fed now as I had mastitus and my milk dried up. Like your lo's he does feed quite a bit during the evening however, last night he fed loads til 11pm and then we had a 3 hour sleep and a 2 hour feed so he is getting better. Also, the 3am feed he only took a small amount so hopefully he will drop this feed.

I just wondered if I was doing something wrong but as he is gaining weight and is happy then I will carry on doing what I am doing. I am also going to try some different bottles as he suffers with wind!

SB x

What bottles are you using? We were using tommee tippee closer to nature ones and they gave Abigail so much pain. We bought Dr Brown bottle, they are expensive at ??10.79 a set but SO worth the money. You can use the grip water from 4weeks. I swear by it xx
  • I'm hoping I can learn from you ladies! image

Connor is just 2 weeks old and we've been home for only 9 days so still finding our feet but I hope to look at this once his feeding routine is more obvious and we're a bit more on top of things.

Definitely hoping to do a bath, story and final feed in his sleeping bag so I can just pop him down.

We used to put him straight into his moses basket but with the feeding problems I was worried I had no time with him that wasn't as a milk machine and would end up resenting him so was advised to have more cuddles etc. Trouble is I don't want to undo the way he can be fine in the basket quite quickly.

Hoping we get there - right now the idea he might ever sleep through the night feels very odd! :lol:
  • I am trying to get one but Oliver will stir and want feeding,cuddles etc for 2 hours every night so i have been starting his bedtime at 8 so he goes down about 10 but its not set in stone yet but he normally wakes up 4 hours after he goes down then i get him up about 7.45 as need to get ready to take kids to school.x
  • What bottles are you using? We were using tommee tippee closer to nature ones and they gave Abigail so much pain. We bought Dr Brown bottle, they are expensive at ??10.79 a set but SO worth the money. You can use the grip water from 4weeks. I swear by it xx

We are using tommee tippee but I have ordered one Dr Brown to see if it helps and if it does I will get some more. May also try the gripe water as Oliver is 4 weeks now.

Thanks Torch

SB x
  • Well Mia put herself back into her own routine last night!Fed on and off until 10 then slept til 4. So think I'll just be following her lead for a while!
  • That's the thing with bf isn't it Fran, there doesn't seem to be any lasting patterns! We've had 2 similar, really good nights but still no earlier to bed. I'm absolutely aware though that everything could chande tonight... x
  • Last night we had change again lol! Mia went down at 8 and I lifted her at 10 for a nappy chnge and tried to feed her but she was so dopey I coulnt get much into her. So she woke at 2 for a 20min feed then went back down until 7.20 so I got 8hrs sleep albet broken by about half an hr, felt quite refreshed this morn :lol: