Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011

what is colic?

Hi,

My boy was in a routine of feed sleep feed but over the last 3 days he started to cry in pain about 20 mins after each feed in the evening and first night feed.

Nothing consoles him and mw says its him taking too much milk and getting a sore tummy. Is this colic?

Its horrendous to listen to and he will eventually stop if he burps up or on his own. He's almost entirely bf and we do try to wind him gently after.

Anyone have any tips? X

Replies

• Colic is defined as inconsolable crying for more that 3 days a week, normally in the early evening and normally lasts for around 3 hours.

Megan had very bad colic, she would scream the house down from 6pm-10pm every night. Abby had 2 nights of colic but we changed her bottles and gave her infocol. Ask your health visitor about infacol, colief (from birth) and gripe water (4weeks+) all these things are supposed to help xx
  • Thanks torch. My midwife thinks it could be the start of colic but said to wait a while to see if it improved on its own first. Fingers crossed.
  • Great that you've persevered with the bf Tulip and it must be going well if he's got so much milk. I hope it's not colic and just a phase x
  • Thanks guys. I've been trying to reply on my phone for days now but for some reason it won't post after I've written lengthy replies! Grr! :evil:

Peanut - thanks for asking. I got tons of support from my MW and we went to a bf drop in that was brilliant. I'm starting to really believe that it is a learnt skill for us both and we now have it down much better - I'm even using one hand to reach for my water and snacks!image

He had lost 12% of his weight at day 6 and was dehydrated, as was I and severely exhausted after the run up to the labour and no sleep after the op. Pleased to say he put on 500g in just a week and is now an ounce heavier than his birth weight.

How is Flo progressing? I know you had similar weight issues as I did but my Connor was a bit of chunk to begin with so wasn't too much of a concern! :lol: