Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011

My birth story

Just thought i'd share my story...

My boy was due on 8th September and was already a week overdue when i woke up last friday, the 16th. Got up at 9am as we were planning a trip to ikea. Had a little bit of lower back ache and felt a bit constipated - which has been pretty normal for me throughout the pregnancy due to the iron tablets.

Had my breakfast and realised my stomach was cramping up for a few seconds every couple of minutes, so thought this could be it, but didn't want to get my hopes up! :lol: Rung up the labour ward and the midwife said it sounded like i was niggling so see how i go over the next couple of hours.

Still not too bothered we got in the car to head out, but had only got 2 minutes down the road when i decided ikea was a bad idea - as it's 40 mins away and i was really uncomfortable. So we popped to a retail park for some bits. However as soon as i got out the car there i had to lean over a trolley to help ease the pain! Headed home and i started timing and found i was having contractions every 1.5 minutes and they were lasting nearly a minute, so i rung again and said i wanted to come in.

Got to labour ward at about 11.30, and struggled across the car park to get in. Midwife gave me gas and air and checked where baby was and his heartbeat. Decided it was definately coming so moved me across the hall to a delivery room - had wanted a water birth but it was in use. Was leaning over the bed having a contraction when my waters broke. Hubby called midwife back in and she saw there was meconium in them, so got hooked up to continuous monitoring - so i wouldn't have been able to have my water birth anyway. Was examined at 12.15 and was 6cm already - i believe my words were 'are you kidding!!' when she told me that!

The next few hours are a bit of a blur. Was in too much pain even to put my own nightie on so was put in a gown and lay on the bed. Was only on gas and air as i wanted as natural a birth as possible. Remember being offered pethidine at one point but must have refused - or just ignored the midwife, as i was pretty much out of it. They were trying to get me to have a drink of milk for some energy but i was having none of it. At one point they were worried i'd had too much gas and air! Got a drip in me to try and give me some energy. Started pushing at 3pm which was so painful - i really wasn't prepared for how much labour hurts! At 4pm i wasn't making enough progress so the consultant was called in. Baby was facing my side and every time i pushed he was just going back up the birth canal after. So was told i'd have to go to theatre then either have an assisted delivery or caesarian. So then it all kicked off, was suddenly surrounded by people trying to tell me things when i was trying to deal with the pain. Was examined again and told it would have to be a section. Had a bit of paper shoved in front of me to sign - although it wasn't my signature they got! :lol: Then was whisked off, still desperate to push. Was allowed gas and air back while they put a spinal block in, and then it was such a relief as i lost all the feeling! Was terrified though - this was my worst case scenario so was shaking and crying, but the midwives were fab, and the anaesthetist really reassuring. Hubby came in dressed in his scrubs and they started.

My gorgeous boy Ryan was born at 4.45pm weighing 9lb 12oz. Heard him cry straight away, but they had to whisk him off for checks to ensure he was ok because of the meconium. Was soon back though, and both his apgar scores were 9.

My labour was officially 6 hours 45 minutes long - for my first baby! I was pretty shell shocked after as it just wasn't what i was expecting. Thought i'd spend a long time at home at the start, then come in and either get in the pool or just remain active on my feet before pushing him out, then going home a few hours later. In the event i had my worst birth nightmare and spent 8 days in hosp - but that's a different story as i've probably waffled enough in this post! In the end the section wasn't as bad as i imagined. I'd been most scared about the big needle in my back but didn't even feel it, and being able to feel being cut into, but didn't! Scar isn't too bad and at least all my bits are still in the right place! :lol:

Moral of the story - birth plans are pretty pointless!!! image

Replies

• Love reading bs, i agree birth plans are pointless :lol:
  • Great to read this. My lesson was also that birth plans are good but you HAVE to think about how you'd cope if any of the scenarios unfold.image

Sounds like you did really well and I truly sympathise with the hospital stay! x
  • i agree birth plans are pointless, I have never got my birth plan either.If i had any more children im not going to write one. Congratulations and a very good weight.x
  • thanks for sharing. there are a few of us first timers who have ended up with emcs!

SB x