Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

moving up to 5oz

Well alfie is still hungry after he has drained his 4oz bottle hes been going every 4 hours and weighs 8.12, still behind his birth weight by 0.1.

Im going to have to make him 5oz bottles but surely he cant be ready for that yet!

Hes combined fed on ebm and forumla, any advice ?

Replies

• I really don't know how you're keepin up with all the expressing, well done! How much does he have of each at the mo?

All I would say is that you can't overfeed a newborn or they'd bring it up. If he seems to want 5oz, I'd give it a go if you can express that. Very impressed if you can get that much, I barely get 2oz! xx
  • Lol im a human diary farm, but to me honest im exhausted and finding myself giving him more forumla bottles. Feel like breastfeeding and breastmilk has took over our important moments.

My breast milk has caused me so much heart ache, including the first week feeling like a failure because he wouldnt latch, little monster still wont now. TBH im trying to get my milk to dry up.

Hopefully this 5oz was a false alarm!

Alfie has 6 x 4oz feeds a day so 720mls in total, but sometimes only takes 90.
  • It's so hard isn't it? We've had dreadful probs with bf and it's only the last couple of days that we seem to have turned a corner. You've got to do what's best for you and your family and you've already given him the breast milk in those important first weeks so don't beat yourself up. You don't want to look back on this stage with bad memories xx
  • That exactly it, nail on the head. Decided that it was just to much. He loves his bottle and loves his milk, so i decided as long has he was happy i was happy.
  • Abigail has been on 5oz for about a week and doing well. Finishing the bottle in no time at all x
  • Hi,

I echo peanut. You have to do what works and eases the stress. As you know we had issues too and although its largely resolved I started to put pressure on myself to change the formula night feed to ebm. Then I though 'what am I doing?'

There's no need to change to ebm straight away. I realised I had achieved so much just mainly bf after the issues we faced and that to go to ebm was yet more pressure on us and would mean I didn't enjoy or feel the benefit of the progress we've already made. So I've decided to keep the one formula feed and if I express then we'll use that instead but no pressure.

Ironically I expressed oz from one boob in 15 minutes today! Amazing what no pressure and expressing at a good time for my boobs will do! image

NEVER beat yourself up! Formula fed babies do just fine and Alfie has had more breast milk than many babies do which is an achievement. I'm trying to see each breast feed as an extra bit of goodness rather than think about when I will stop etc.

I say give Alfie what he is asking for but one thing I learnt is that when Connor gets a bad tummy he does make some gestures which are similar to feeding cues so just make sure you aren't confusing the two sometimes - tbh I think you'd know though as the cry is more pained and they seem more frantic.

You're done amazingly well and you should be so proud of yourself xx
  • Tulip what a lovely reply thank you x