Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011

Feeding confidence in public

Hi Ladies,

I'm starting to gain more confidence breast feeding but I'm still largely restricted to the house post op and since getting an infection and now having my incision open a little and bleed.

But...I'm determined to use the time wisely and start to try to practice how I'll feed when in public but discreetly and comfortably so it goes well.

I can pretty much feed ok on a chair with just me, baby and a muslin but I need at least a large shawl to cover my modesty and allow me to get him on without feeling like I'm hanging out!

I've seen the mama scarfs and similar things but was wondering if anyone is using these or what you've found most helpful for feeding out and about without 'hanging out'. :lol:

Replies

• Oh and also I have a couple of nursing tops but reluctant to spend lots of money on any more so if anyone has any wardrobe tips to keep tummy covered but easy boob access I'd be grateful to hear it.

I'm sort of thinking if I get some long loose cardigans I can cover my tum and pull a top up or perhaps a wide neck top down?
  • I feed anywhere and everywhere and don't care what people think!! Though I do try to conceal it.

I have a breast feeding apron / shawl - but I don't use it as the few times I did I found that it attracted more attention as it is a very obvious piece of material covering you and people tend to stare more. If people see what you are doing and see the baby (not hidden with shawl) people are often nice and don't feel as awkward and make simple chit chat. The apron seems to make people more curious and / or uncomfortable - they stare or act shifty!! I feed now with a long cardigan. I don't have any specific tops as I refuse to pay the money. I just make sure I'm wearing something with easy access and a long cardigan. Sometimes I put a back vest top under my top / dress if I think my tum may be on show. Often do this if I'm wearing leggings. I also make sure Flo has a pram blanket which I fold over and use as a pillow to rest her on - makes it a bit easier to feed.

Don't feel embarrassed, it is becoming more widely acceptable to feed in public. And people will only see you for a second - you probably wont see them again!! And I find there are lots of breast feeding rooms about too!!! Good luck and you go for it!!! x
  • Well done you!

I never bought any special clothing to feed my son in public, tbh after a while I really wasn't bothered who saw what! We needed to use nipple shields for the first 3 months as my son wouldn't feed any other way and it was pretty impossible to attach them (and then take them off after when they still have a bit of milk in them and would try to leak everywhere) whilst staying perfectly covered at all times...

Layering a vest top underneath whatever you are wearing is a good idea as you can then pull up 1 item you're wearing and pull down the other 1 so you are creating a hole big enough for your nipple to be fed from without any of the rest of you being on show. Your baby's head is big enough to cover your breast so people would really have to stare to see anything "rude" image Most of them time it just looks like you are cradling your baby for a nice cuddle. Wrap tops/dresses are a really good idea too.

It helped me loads to go to our local breastfeeding group as it was just natural there to feed your baby when it was hungry and no-one would bat an eyelid at any exposed bit of boob. Plus you can get advice if you have any worries/problems.

As baby gets older he/she becomes more efficient so it gets just so easy!

• I agree with the above posters, I have to feed Flo anytime, anywhere and I've just given up caring who sees what. At the end of the day, you're feeding your baby and it's the most natural thing in the world.

We've fed in cafe's, shops, park benches... everywhere! I tend to go for the vest underneath to pull down (keeps tummy covered) and loose top on top to lift up. Is it weird that I'd rather keep my belly covered than show boob? It's just so jelly, saggy and stretchmark-y! Another good thing has been wearing my maternity leggings as they come up to the bust so keep tummy covered too.

I also agree with going along to feeding friendly groups where everyone is feeding, you soon get used to it and build your confidence. Also, like cutiepie's mum said, people don't even tend to notice when you feed without a shawl. So many people come over and coo over Flo when I'm feeding and it's only a few who step back and apologise when they realise I'm feeding, most don't even bat an eyelid and neither do I.

In many ways I'd love someone to challenge me on feeding her in public because I would bite their bl00dy head off!

Good luck, it does take time but the more confident you are, the less anyone will notice anyway xxx
  • Sadly, baby's needs come first & if you have to feed in public so be it. I fed Hannah in the middle of our local park just the other day, just sat on the bench with her blanket draped over my belly for a bit more comfort. I do have a baby carrier with baby head support which you can open at the side you wish to breast feed to assist with staying more discreet but it takes practice to perfect getting baby latched on in this mode. If you're out & about in cafes/restaurants many will have a baby feed area or will find you somewhere if you're uncomfortable so don't be afraid to ask (with Samantha I was actually given the keys to a manager's office so I could have privacy to feed). The more you get out, the more used to things you'll become, you'll find what works for you.
  • I am the same i just do it.Normally put a muslin blanket over us but i just wear normal clothes and i normally wear long cardys anyway.I am feeding my third so i am not as shy now.I don't care what people think as babys need feeding.
  • Infact my DS is always telling me Oliver needs feeding mummy are you giving him mummy milk then and he will tell anyone he has mummy milk or boob. :lol:
  • Thanks.

I think I'm more worried that I will rush it, get flustered and he will scream and then we'll draw attention to ourselves and people will think I can't feed my own baby. AND my boob will be out to add insult to injury!

BUT...my confidence is building and I'm starting to feel proud for working so hard to breastfeed. I have been practicing with a muslin too.

Unfortunately my boobs ARE bigger than my babies head as I am now a whopping 34J! image
  • Hello,

Sorry I'm g/c but wanted to tell you what my cousin does - she buys cheap vest tops to wear under her clothes and then cuts the across the boob area so she can get access easily whilst being covered a bit more.
  • when i first went out with my son i started using cafes either with booths or the quieter ones, and had no problems, as i built confidence i was happy to feed almost anywhere. i hope this time will be the same.
  • Sally - I'm hoping this will work for me too.

Strangely I'm feeling better about feeding in front of strangers than in front of family, particularly those who haven't yet had kids and might feel embarrassed.