Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

when can you start using baby wipes!

When can you start using sensitive baby wipes? my wee man is over 5 weeks now and doing the whole getting water in the middle of the night is becoming a pain when I up for the 3rd time!!

Just wonder if any of you have started using wipes or know when you plan to start using them?

thanks

cx

Replies

• g/c but i think we got to about 5 weeks when i decided dirty nappies needed wipes as did night changes but used water and cotton wool a bit longer thru the day. my ds didnt have any problems with the change.i think its personal preference x
  • I was buying the h20 wipes, which were expensive. Alfie has sensitive skin. My godsend is huggies pure wipes, they are ment to be the same as water and cotton wool. Only a ??1 in boots aswell!
  • I think with my first about a week, i got so fed up of fetching water everytime and cotton wool just doesnt shift poo like wipes do. The only ones we dont use are johnsons as they give my son really bad nappy rash. The cheap ones from Asdas and Tescos though we have had no problems at all. In the beginning I only used wipes on his bottom, the whole cleaning face and other areas I still used water with either cotton wool or a flannel for a good while.
  • with DS and DD we used wipes for nappy changes from the start and not had any problems
  • i got sick of cotton wool and water at about 2 or 3 weeks! It wasnt cleaning him properly (his skin seemed tinted yellow from poo at times)the health vistor said non perfumed ones were fine and to revert to cotton wool and water if his bottom ever looked sore. He never has got sore but i think maybe i change his nappy more than some - i get through 10 nappies or so in 24 hours, bath him everyday and use barrier cream on his bottom during the longer stretches at night. I also try to let him have a kick about with no nappy on on the days we're home. There are some wipes that smell really strong with fancy extras and i think its best to avoid these.
  • I stocked up on wipes while pregnant before i read about not using them to begin with. Used cotton wool exclusively for first few weeks as thats what they supplied in hosp and i just carried on the same when i got home. Found it a pain though as even the stuff that says it's for babies seems to fall apart and leave bits stuck to him! I started using the wipes just after 3 weeks and no probs - and it's much easier and quicker - which means less chance of getting weed on! :lol:

xxx
  • Thanks for all the replies ladies!

Typical mother's guilt....I was beating myself up for wanting to give up the cotton wool/water at nights and he is 5 weeks and from the responses on here and from my mummy friends it is completely normal to go to wipes now! :lol::lol:

Why do us mummies find weird things to get all worried about? image

cx
  • I have used wipes from the start. I have to say (after 18 months of using wipes continuously!) we have found Asda Smart Price wipes (23p a pack!) the gentlest and they don't come out the pack in clumps (I find that with Huggies) x
  • Um, since birth. Both my girls have been cleaned with wipes since day1 and I've never had any problems with them. I use Johnsons Pure wipes which is much the same as just using water anyway.
  • Since birth. On both the girls x
  • I used cotton wool for two week with all of mine, but would use cotton wool if i happen to run out of wipes as i have loads of cotton wool in, Alos forgot to get any when i went shopping as thought i had more than i have.x
  • I used baby wipes since i came home from hos. i use pampers sentive or huggies pure. Ive had no prob with nappy rash I let his bum dry a bit before I put the nappy on properly and I put some sudocrem on as well.

He loves lying in the living room floor on his changing mat when the fire is on without his nappy on he kicks and goo's.

xx