Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011

Feeds during a growth spurt

Hi ladies,

My little one has just come out of a mega growth spurt which lasted longer and has been more intense than the previous 24 hour ones where he fed lots but only over one day.

We also swapped his formula bottle for pure breast feeding at the same time (very bad timing!) which I think hasn't helped so this has lasted about 4/5 days and peaked where he fed almost non-stop from 7-10.30pm where I finally couldn't do anymore and we topped him up with 1oz of formula. By this point I'd gone grey again and felt ill. image

I read there is typically a very big growth spurt around 6 weeks and he was about 5 weeks exactly when this one started so I suppose it could be this along with him trying to bring on my supply for the night feed but I wondered what you think?

When you go through growth spurts how often and for how long does your little one feed and how long does it last?

Happy to say my milk supply is now back up again and all his feeds are shortening as the flow is again faster - we're back to him choking again and me spraying all over me, him, the cat....anyone who happens to be nearby! :lol:

Replies

• Mia has been on an almost constant growth spurt for the last few weeks :lol: There seems to be no pattern for her feeds in the morning and in the evening she wants fed at 6 no matter when she was fed before! She is pretty much every 2hrs during a growth spurt now but she has been closer together particularly in the morning time.
  • Hannah has been feeding longer and sleeping longer inbetween feeds during her growth spurts taking a good 45mins-1hr food and then 2-3hrs sleep. It will vary from child to child but yes 6wks is an average 'spurt' point for most.
  • Although Oliver is getting a feeding routine he is feeding for longer i have noticed.And his newborn clothes fit him nicely now.x