Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

We have started weaning

Ok so I know this is a subject we will all have strong opinions on but we will all do what WE feel is best for our babies.

Abby was 17 weeks old yesterday and is drinking 7oz every 2.5-3 hours. She was going to bed at 7:30-8pm but recently has picked up a feed at around 10ish. I don't mind this but routine is really important to us so we decided to try her with some food. I wanted to wait until 6 months but Megan was weaned at 14 weeks.

we started weaning today, we jumped straight in with flavoured food (apple, pear and mango) for lunch. I gave her the bottle first (7oz) and then a small amount of food, she really enjoyed it. I am not bothering with baby rice as this made Megan a very fussy eater. I feel that she became so used to the baby rice she was reluctant to try anything else.

So, there it is. My baby does not seem so small any more, growing well, happy and healthy.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/babyhope2010/DSC_0079.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/babyhope2010/Abbysfirst.png

Replies

• Abby looks so well Torch. I will be thinking about weaning Ollie after Christmas. He drinks 8oz every 3 -4 hours and the midwife said because he is a hungry boy I may have to start early. I have stewed, mashed and frozen some apple today as I had lots lying around in preparation.

How did Abby's 16 week immunistaions go? Ollie has his on Wednesday.

SB x
  • we've got stocked up on hipp organic jars as they have been on offer.. william was weaned about 16/17 weeks so i think we'll probably do same with megan - she is a greedy guts though!
  • We'll be starting weaning next month once Hannah is 4mths old (same time we started with Samantha). There is no right or wrong on this & it will vary from child to child (nephew Ben owing to his large size at birth was weaned from 8wks old with HV actually advising it good idea). We too are stocking up with HIPP jars, rusks & fruit purees. Hannah can't wait, eyeing up plates & smacking her lips at meal times, but am determined will be exactly 4mths old for her first feed on solids.
  • Matthew was weaned the day he turned 4mnths as that was the advice then. Isla was weaned at 16wks as she was draining 7oz bottles every 2hrs.

Mia was 16wks yeaterday and is 17lb 4oz but I don't think shes ready yet, she has 5 7oz feeds 3hrs apart except her last 2 which are only 2-2.5hrs apart. She then sleeps 12hrs so I'm thinking we don't need to start yet but that could all change v quickly!