Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011

weaning......jars or homemade

What is everyone doing with regards to food, are they buying or making their own??

If your making your own, what have you bought/planning on buying to make them.

cx

Replies

• we've been stocking up on HIPP organic jars whilst they have been on offer. With DS we used jars for stage one and two and then started giving him what we have. we're planning on doing action replay for DD.
  • I'm doing a mixture. have got pureed carrot, apple and peas already in the freezer in ice cube size and then a friend has given me some jars and sachets. Also, if I get any vouchers for money off I am going to purchase it.

We had a food processor for christmas so have used that but before we had it I mashed the veg after i had boiled it for a while.

SB x
  • Hi

I mostly mad homemade food it's really easy just puree or mash what you are having. I used jars occasionally. Both of my older daughters eat most things and don't have any allergies. I used the Annabel Karmel baby and toddler meal planner book which was a real help,

• Like Liz, we're HIPP jars, purees & farlees rusks.
  • farleys rusk twin packs are on offer at ??1.04 for a twin pack at Boots.

i may have cleared the shelf... image
  • Hi,

We just can't afford jars and to be honest home made will retain more vitamins as the jars inevitably lose some through preservation. But jars still a good option and do have adequate goodness.

I reckon we'll use jars occasionally for long days out. Also our nursery follows annabel karmel so will be ezsier to get little one on this.

We got a processor for xmas, some baby rice, weaning bowls, spoons and brother max food cubes.

We're hoping to wait until 6 months but will see if he decides he's ready sooner.
  • See I dont cook and I'm hoping that if I start making all his meals and keep doing it as he grows then my cooking skills may grow with him!! :lol:

cx
  • hi ladies

i went to a talk on weaning from hv, she'd blended chicken and veg and made us try it, then made us try cow and gate. now ive tried them tigether i wouldnt use the jars - the jar was supposed to be chicken dinner but all you could taste was peas! the homemade potato, carrot brocolli and chicken was so much nicer, cheaper and no added sugar or nasties. i dont cook much either but blending some veg and freezing it is not really cooking!! also tried baby rice - yuk - will be by passing that one x
  • I've read a few times that if they always have jar foods that when you give them your own it will be full of flavour and they may not take to it as too strong. Although mummies who've already been through weaning may say that's rubbish!

I plan to do baby-led weaning.
  • It was jars all the way for Samantha until 1yr old when she got introduced to 'grown-up' food. Every new taste & texture will see some hesitation at first but as long as you keep offering the food they'll eat it when ready.

Hannah has now started on jars too & is doing the comedy 'screwed up face but still trying to shoval it in' routine. she has the biggest grin once 'All gone'. image
  • No jared food for me, ive already made loads of purees, mixed ones slightly textured ones for later on when he gets used to it all neatly stored and labled in my freezer. least I no exactly what goes into my LO food. plus the jar's smell/taste discusting my hv made me and OH try them as well. not nice. Alex will be getting home made yum yum's and he already loves them!! image
  • Hay i will be doing both and also trying baby led weaning but i will see how Oliver is when we get there.x
  • just to let you know Ella's kitchen pouches are on offer in tesco

SB x