Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Where we're all at...

Hi ladies, after practically living on this site before I had my little man I've hardly been on at all since he was born. Have been dealing with the ups and downs of pretty bad reflux and cows milk protein intolerance.

Wondered if any of you "born in sept" mummies were going through similar?

Anyway, now I'm starting to get my head around having a little refluxer and accepting things won't be as simple as I maybe thought I feel I can finally come and read your posts and check out how you're all doing as you were such a huge support to me when pregnant image

Replies

• Options
    Hiya. My little man is cmpi. He wasn't regaining the birth weight he lost and was having loose stools with blood in, so they decided that's what it was. He was also very windy and uncomfy lying down. Because I am breastfeeding him I have been dairy free since he was 3 weeks old. I think his stools are still looser than maybe normal, as someone mentioned a playdoh consistency to me, and they're not like that! The blood stopped though and he is a proper chunky monkey, at 16 weeks now.

He also has a bit of reflux i think, not been diagnosed but he often brings milk back, but doesn't seem uncomfortable with it most of the time. Have they told you anything about when to start trying him on dairy again?

Apart from that, we have just moved him into his own room, which seems to have cured the fact that he's been waking every 2 hours for the past few weeks! Not sure if he was uncomfy in his crib now he's got bigger, or if we were disturbing him, but last night he was back to the perfect sleeping baby he used to be!

xxx
  • Options
    Hi,

We are under a consultant paed at hospital and she advised to re-introduce dairy at 18 months but to be honest the more I read the more I realise that lots of babies at that age still can't tolerate it and 50% of babies who are cmpi are also intolerant to soya. Sorry, don't mean to sound all doom and gloom!

My LO has silent reflux which is heartbreaking to see

• Options
    I read about the soya thing too, but that seems to be ok, or not going through my milk. We see a dietician every few months and she says we'll 'challenge' him with it after a year.

Can i ask how they discovered he had it? Did they do any tests?

Sorry about the reflux, don't know much about it, but hopefully it will get better as he gets bigger and starts eating.

xxx
  • Options
    Oh ladies, I'm sorry to hear your stories. My sister's BIL had cmpi as a baby but outgrew it at around 18mth mark (so his mother says). My sister herself never outgrew it but she & my mum learned to know what foods she could eat & what would set her off (e.g. small amount of choc, no cream on puddings, no cheese on pastas, black tea/coffee). As for reflux, Samantha had it & outgrew it once we started weaning. It isn't nice to watch but most children seem to outgrow it within their first year. Best wishes.
  • Options
    KazzieM - yes, I'm really hoping he outgrows the reflux, he has pretty bad flare ups at the moment even with medication but trying to be positive!

Tigerlily13uk - they didn't do any tests but we switched from Aptamil to nutramigen 1 and he was still really bad (with medication) so it was obvious he just couldn't tolerate even a hydrolysed formula. Now he has nutramigen AA which has definitely improved things. A large percentage of babies with severe reflux are cmpi.

If you ever need to ask advice re. intolerance littlerefluxers.co.uk are a huge support and the wealth of knowledge those ladies have always amazes me! image