Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how are we getting on with weaning?

Has anyone started weaning, if so how are you getting on? What is your routine?

My wee man was on one homemade puree a day at lunch for a few weeks and then I moved him to 2 pots today. So he gets a bottle about 8am, fruit puree about 11am, bottle 12, veg puree at 3pm, bottle 4pm, bottle 7pm then bed. dream fed at 11pm.

cx

Replies

• Hi Foofan,

Ollie has 3 lots of solids after his bottles so he has Milk then Porridge at 8.00, milk then puree at 11.30ish, 3.30 Milk then puree and then milk before bed. He has 8 oz of formula at each feed so is having more than enough. He loves his food and I am sure would just keep eating if I let him! When he gets to 6 months i will offer him the solid first.

SB x
  • Our weaning routine is very similar to yours. I usually give a fruit type pur????e in the morning & a savoury in the afternoon. He has loved everything and yet to refuse any of the flavours! He likes weetabix & ready brek and we mix through mashed banana or any other fruit pur????e for variety. We used some of the baby cereals with DD til we realised how shockingly high their sugar contents are so don't use them this time round.

I make my own savoury meals for home (for easiness I recommend a cooking day once a month and make a big variety of meals for the freezer. Was so much easier with DD and doing the same this time round). I tend to use jars if I'm out and about or to give tastes of things I wouldn't cook myself.

I love the weaning stage! It's so exciting to see their reactions, especially when they get to the stage of trying to feed themselves!
  • My LO is only 20 wks so haven't started yet. Will be doing baby led weaning when he's ready. I better get ready for the mess!!! :lol:
  • We did try him the other day bit he isn't ready so goin leave a few more weeks and try again.Ithink he had maybe two spoons bit didn't really

Seem intrested.Going to do a mix of baby led and spoon feeding.x
  • I'm also waiting until 6 months. I think Ryan is going to love eating though! He loves watching us eat, we normally have him sat at the table with us anyway to keep him happy while we both eat. Some books say it's a sign he's ready for weaning, but he loves watching everything we do, and my milk still contents him at the moment. He's very good at taking his calpol off a spoon so don't think we'll have any probs there! We're going to do a mix of baby led and purees - he'll prob have purees for breakfast and dinner, and baby led for tea so we can all eat together at the table.

xxx
  • I tried to hold out til 6 months but Ollie had other ideas!!! I did have hv blessing too!

SB x
  • I was hoping to get to 6 months but Connor had other ideas too spongebobby!

Apparently the advice is that if milk isn't satisfying them this is NOT a sign to wean early as its more about what their little bodies can digest rather than appetite.

The important signs they are ready are apparently that they can sit up unsupported for a bit, hold a spoon and aim it in the right direction image , have doubled birth weight etc etc.

Even if you start weaning before 6 months you're 'supposed to' keep the calories mainly coming from milk as they still need it.

Connor was watching us and making noises whilst we ate, sucking calpol from a spoon, he can sit unsupported for about 20 seconds and is able to feed himself (mostly in the mouth! image ) from a spoon.

We are going very slowly though as he's just 21 weeks so at lunch we give him one boob then a puree and then finish with a boob. In all honesty he looks like he could eat more solids but due to a case of mastitis and his weight not going on as fast I want to be double careful that he's getting the fat from the milk for a bit longer.

For us thought I could see he was keen and didn't want to miss the window of opportunity!! :lol:
  • So far so good.

Hannah has BF when she wakes, another 'top-up' mid morning (around 10am), fruit puree for lunch (around 12.30), BF mid afternoon (around 3pm), savoury puree/dinner (around 5.30pm)& BF before bedtime (around 8pm). Plan to introduce rusk for breakfast in another week or two (though Samantha has taken a shine to them since she spotted them in the cupboard)