Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Getting out and about with solids!

Hi Ladies,

Does anyone have any tips for feeding out and about with solids?

I don't want to be pinned down to the house for meals as this limits when we can go out or how long for which is a nuisance.

Its proving difficult to take home made foods out as I'm worried about food poisoning with defrosting and re-heating purees. I can take an avocado or banana to mash but if we've just gone shopping etc its tricky to find an area to sit with a table to sort it all without having to actually buy something.

Jars are easier but equally I need at least a seat...thinking about it maybe I need to be on the look out for some benches etc?

Any tips very welcome!

Replies

• I use Ella's kitchen pouches which I don't warm up and usually eat at the same time so purchase something.

Having said that I was in Marks and Spencers sat at a table waiting for hubby and they offered me a glass of water! I think because they thought I was going to feed baby and they didn't seem to be pushing me to buy anything so you could just try sitting at a table.

Let me know how you get on if you do try it.

SB x
  • My son is almost 1 and has only had my own food, I make then freeze all his meals. If i'm going out and will be feeding him shortly after going out i microwave his dinner for too long so that it is far too hot, by the time he eats it, it has cooled enough to be the right temp.

If its a while before he is going to be fed i take it out with me frozen and its more or less defrosted by meal time and only needs reheating. So far i haven't found anywhere that won't warm up his food. If i know there arent any food facilities where I'm going i make a picnic style dinner, some cheese, mini sandwich/ breadstick & soft cheese, rice cake, yoghurt or fruit pot, biscuit etc. I dont mind him having this type of meal once in a while but as i say that was if the food services were limited.

I found Asda cafe's to be excellent and debenhams.

hope this helps

• I do the same as kimdunc, I heat up the food and its cooled by meal times, or heat up too much and put it in a thermal bottle bag and it will still be warm at a later meal time.

cx
  • hipp jars or ella's kitchen pouches. I usually get away with just getting a drink for William whilst i feed Megan - luckily she's doesn't mess about with food so by the time William is done we are usually finished feeding. I'm sure it helps that I carefully select foods I know she loves for when we are out... image
  • Hi use a bento food flask, the kids one only ??8.99 from dunelm mill. it keeps ur food ust the right temp. They do a boys and a girls. and rnt to big to carry round
  • Ella pouches, a cover all plastic bib and a pram that has a 'sit up' function. I have found that Phoebe eats really well sat up in the pram but the plastic coverall bibs are essential because youi can put them over the baby whilst they are strapped into the pram so it covers the straps as well. They are huge so they cover the baby well and you can wipe them clean with a baby wipe after xx
  • Having worked in waitressing most restaurants will have a bottle warmer & will happily heat an unopened babyjar in their microwave on request. When it comes to your own self-prepared meals you can request a bowl of hot water to warm the food in at your table.

If not eating in a restaurant then I always aim for fruit purees that don't need heating, a nice big bib & sitting in pushchair or car seat for feeding.
  • Have you thought of baby led weaning? That way you can go out with snacks e.g. breadsticks, cheese etc
  • OMG got stuck in traffic on a bus yesterday and had to sit up the pram get on my knees and feed him sweet potato and pear purees that I was going to feed him before I left (but was running late!)

I do not recommend it! :lol:
  • My biggest worry about feeding out and about is the mess! We've only started 2 weeks ago, but i'll put a spoonful of food in his mouth, and he sticks his fingers in too, then proceeds to spread it all over his face! He always sucks his fingers so it's just a habit for him. So far i've just delayed lunch until we are home as he is still happy with a breastfeed if we're out and about, but there is a fab child friendly cafe we go to to meet with other babies and mums, and i am slowly taking inspiration from them and getting confidence to think about feeding him when we're out. Need to get some lunchboxes though! xxx