Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Am I in the wrong?

On Tuesday I was in work on a morning shift and I made til half 9 but then begun to feel very nauseous so I asked to go home, my manager was not happy about this but she did let me go.

Ive been trying to get an appointment at the doctors since but only managed to get one today and I've now been signed off work due to hyperemesis, the doctor wanted me to stay off for atleast the next 4 weeks but I said that was too long so she's done it for 2 weeks and will review me again.

I phoned my manager today to tell her, she then asked how long I'd known for and why hadn't I told them etc and then she starts ranting because she has to find cover for two weeks :roll:

Anyway it's just making me worry that maybe I should have told her sooner and that it's going to be awkward when I do go back.

Sorry to keep ranting x

Replies

• Oh and when I say told her, I'm reffering to me being pregnant as I hadn't told the

Until today xx
  • Hi, I don't think you're in the wrong at all. It's up to you when you let work know that you are pregnant. Your manager should not be making you feel this way. I suffered terribly with hyperemesis with both my babies and was off quiet alot, my manager the first time sounds alot like yours but the second time was a new manger a totally different. Don't let work worry you, look after yourself and take as much time as you need. You and your little baby are what's important, your manager will have to get over it!

Take care xx
  • Your manager is being totally unreasonable and selfish! Don't let her make you feel bad or let it ruin what should be a very special time for you.

I have absolutely no intention of telling my boss I'm pregnant until I'm at least 12 weeks. The way I see it why should my boss know before I've had chance to tell close family and friends?

Legally (although don't quote me on this) I think you are perfectly entitled to full maternity pay so long as you tell your employer before 15 weeks of you due date.

Your boss sounds like a total cow to be honest. I'm appalled that this sort of attitude exists in the work place.

Hope you feel better soon. X
  • just thread crashing you don't need to legally advise work until 15 weeks before your due date so your boss has no right to say this
  • I can imagine how you feel about maybe letting your boss down because you are signed off, but you have to remember that you have to look after number one at the end of the day.

You boss will be able to find cover and that won't be a problem, but there is only one you and you need to enjoy your pregnancy. After all your going to be off for up to a year when the babies born, so just take it as your boss having a trail without you before your off on mat leave in the next 8 - 9 months.

I'm going back to work for a new boss but same organisation and I will have to tell my boss I'm pregnant again after just coming back a few months from mat leave. I was worried at first and wanted to put of tcc for a few months until i started work, but you know what, it's my life and family- family comes once but jobs come and go. image
  • I'm in the same boat but knowing that my last pregnancy I had to have the full 3 months off until I was 16 weeks and the sickness just stopped. Not sure about your work but my work preferred for me to be off in one long stint and were aware of it so they could have someone come and cover me for 3 months, and also if it was longer than a set amount of time the insurance kicked in so they did not have to pay for my cover. It might be worth having a word with your boss cause realistically you aren't going to be feeling any better in two weeks time if you feel this awful now. Girl's are right tho...do not feel bad, you need to look after your body and its obviously telling you to rest! My boss was grumpy when I told her and started telling me all the problems it would cause, she did later apologise. x x x x
  • Your boss is very in the wrong! Most women don't let on until after the 12 week scan. I suffered with this with my 1st pregnancy and I went about as normal and ended up in hospital for 4 days and had 12 bags of fluids pumped into me!

Some bosses don't understand that when you are pregnant 9/10 women put their child before their work and it is against the law for a company/boss or any person at a level of authority to treat you badly because of this.

Don't worry about it hun, you are doing everything right!

xx
  • your boss is totally in the wrong, you dont "have" to tell them anything.

I always look at it like this, if you werent pregnant but had a severe tummy bug or something that made you feel like this would you go into work ? Would work respond the same way to you ? I doubt it, your sick. Stay home and rest up !
  • I agree with the others your boss is in the wrong, and is displaying terrible management skills by trying to make you feel bad! Total cow :evil:

You and your baby come first, like Giftuk says family comes once! Take care of yourself, and I hope your boss isn't mean when you go back.

xxx
  • Thank you for all your replies! image

I've stopped worrying about the whole situation now and seeing as I've been in bed for pretty much a whole week already I can't see me going back anytime soon, which will please them even more :lol:

xx