Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First day back to work ladies after a year off!

So today was my first day back before the big official Monday morning return and to my surprise it went really well, my boss was lovely and i felt welcome. It was lovely to see old friends/colleges again. However, i did begin to feel heavy eyed around 11.30am and lost concentration for about 5 minutes, when a college was explaining something to me, but after having something to eat i was fine. Not looking forward to having to tell my boss that i'm pregnant after just coming back from mat leave, i've already booked holiday for my scan in a few weeks. Oh well a girls got to do what a girls got to do. image

Replies

• I'm in a similar position to you except I dont go back until 19th March and i'm planning on going off again at the begining of Sept!

I'm worried they'll think i'm taking the p**s but tough, my family comes 1st always will

xx
  • I went back to work at the end of October from mat leave and have just told my manager I'm pregnant again. She was really supportive and said she was really pleased for me etc. I hope your boss is the same because it made me feel so much better! x
  • Hi purpletulip how long were u off for?
  • I took 9 months off and went back when my DS was 8 months old. He'll be 1 in a couple of weeks. It's all gone so quick!
  • thanks hun for your reply, do you know how long you would like to take off with your second? I would love to take a year off again, but don't know what boss would think :lol:
  • Glad your first day went well. There is only 1 year between my two and I was over 20 weeks pregnant when I went back to work last time. My manager was ok with it (they don't have alot of choice really :lol: ) I'm nOt looking forward to telling them this time. They really will think I'm taking the p*ss!!! xx
  • Aww thanks hun, so you were 20 weeks when you went back wow, how long did you take off with your second? and how did you feel when you went back?

I've got my scan in a few weeks, so was hoping to let my manager know after scan, as my stomach seems to have grown rapidly over the last week, thank God it's winter and i can hide it with lots of layers.
  • I had 9 months off with my second, I have only been back just over 3 months eeek!! I am also going to wait until after my scan to tell work. I have booked holiday for my booking appointment and will have to see what happens when I get my scan date as I may have to tell them in order to get the time off. This will most definitely be our last baby!

I didn't enjoy being back at work after my son. I didn't like leaving him and think as I new I was only back for a few weeks I didn't really get back in the swing of things however this time I love it!

How long will you have off work with number 2? x
  • That's where I was lucky working as a childminder. With my son I worked until I went into labour took 2 weeks off when he was born and started back with my 3 kids I looked after. I was at home all the time though so it didn't bother me. With my daughter, we had to move to a bigger house so I decided I would take the 9 months as I had never really had time with just my kids. I started back with 1 little girl just after the summer and she started nursery a few months later so I lost her. Now I am just staying a sahm as I will have 3 aged 3, almost 2 and newborn.

It doesn't really matter what your boss thinks hun. They aren't allowed to make you feel bad about being pregnant, it's discrimination. xx
  • Baby Dex and mummy 2 liam, this is an off topic question but how did you know to try for your next so soon?

I have a 6 week old and knew i wanted another straight away but i didnt expect to feel this broody again this soon.

How much harder is having 2 than 1??

xxx
  • I didn't find it any harder at all. The main thing is to always include your eldest with the new baby. My son was so gentle with her and just loved her from the off. I think as well it helps when they are younger because they haven't had a whole lot of "only child" time to then become jealous. It took us 2 years to conceive our son so we didn't want to wait too long in case we had problems again.....we fell with our daughter the 1st month lol.

This time round, we have decided I will go back to work when the kids are at school and we always wanted 3 so it made sense to have them closer in age and I wouldn't want 2 older and 1 new. I'm expecting a big change going from 2-3 but 1-2 was brilliant and they are so close. x
  • Thank you for your reply. You sound like me, 2 years for DS so fingers crossed we would have your luck. Though i am breastfeeding so I should imagine that may affect things.

Really appreciate hearing your experience, thank you x
  • You have plenty of time hun. Breast-feeding will more than likely stop you falling pregnant but my son was 10 months when we fell pregnant again and it was a great age. I wouldn't change a thing about it so give yourself some time to enjoy your first lo, bfing etc. xx
  • Think itll take a little while for hubs to get used to the idea any way, he wants another but im not sure he realises how broody i am image!

Thanks for your advice xxx
  • Hi, it took us quite a while to fall pregnant with our first baby so we decided not to use contraception again after he was born as we knew we wanted another baby and didn't mind when we had number 2. It just so happened that 3 months later I was pregnant again! I haven't found it more difficult at all. I think as my son was only one when my daughter was born he was too young to be jealous etc and he just took to her right away! They get on so well now and play together great. If I had my time again I would definitely have them close again. Not sure how I will find having 3 kids though :lol:

• Mummy2liam I'm glad to hear you found that age gap great as it's the same as I'll have image

I took 9 months last time and would like to do the same but think it wikl probably end up being closer to 6 unless I can do some serious saving over the next few months!!
  • Babydex i would love to take a year off again, i think it's only fair that i treat my second just like i did with my first; and she has loved me beging around and i don't feel guilty when i take her to nursery as i know she is ready to play n mix with other children and a little madam.
  • I will have 9 months off again I think, I feel the older my two were the easier it was to let them go off to nursery. With my son I went back early (I had to to get mat pay again!!) and he was not ready at all for nursery. I took him out int the end and my husbands mum agreed to have him until I finished work again. He was funny with noise and other children crying though so that might have been why he didn't settle.

I would love to take a year off but just don't think I can afford to! Maybe I will win the lottery before September!
  • Babydex you asked how long i will be off with number two, would lovr to take a year off again to let this baby have the same experience and time i had with my dd. also, now that my dd is one i feel confident to leave her at nursery and know that she will be there to help with her learning experience.

What about you, how long will you want off this time?
  • Hi gift,

I replied, it's the message above yours. I will take 9 months I think. If I could afford to take a year I most definitely would. x