Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2012

baby ok but midwife couldnt hear heartbeat???

Hiya ladies am 15 + 2 and went to the midwife friday. She couldnt find babys heartbeat but could hear the placenta beating away.

Is this normal? She said it was maybe as im not that far along to hear it yet??

I think its cause im fat. Before i fell pregnant, i was overweight but had lost a stone. I have loads of loose fat on my stomach and feel this is why she struggled.

I have to go back in 2 weeks....

Please help im going crazy wondering whats going on xx

Replies

• It's perfectly normal hun. Most midwives won't try to listen until 16 weeks and not a day less. If you are even slightly over-weight that will make it harder to hear as well.

I'm pretty small so my midwife expected no trouble at all in getting baby's heartbeat but it still took her a good 10 mins of searching. I was 16 weeks exactly and it was quite faint.

Don't worry, if she was concerned at all she would have scheduled you for a scan.

xx
  • Would def agree - if they were worried, you'd have been booked in for a scan pretty sharpish! I had an appt with my consultant when I was 14 weeks and they managed to get the heartbeat then - but I was able to tell them exactly where baby was sitting as I have been feeling movements from 10 weeks and it had been vey wriggly just before we went in for the appt!! Try not to worry Hun!