Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Aug 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Strep B

Hi

Just found out today that I have this and was told I will need IV Antibiotics during labour. I am a little confused as only 12 weeks and surely it can clear up before I am due?

Does anybody have this too? And maybe a little more info or had it in the past and know a lot more?

Replies

• You can have strep b one day and not the next. so you might have it on the day u give birth so its a precaution as if pass strep b on to baby it can be harmful to them.i had group b present in my placenta after giving birth to my daughter luckily she is ok. I am therefore having the antibiotics whilst giving birth this time. I hope this helps..
  • I was also told AFTER having my lil boy that I was carrying it. Its just one of those things that some people carry. I thought that there was nothing that got rid of it, you just have antibiotics to prevent you passing it on to baba and making them poorly. My lil boy was fine and the antibiotics are precaution x

Ask your midwife if you're worried hun x

• Hi

Thanks for replying. I read up a lot about it on the internet and also rang the hospital who sent the letter and spoke to them. I had antibiotics to clear it up but as it has been discovered I am now advised to have the antibiotics during labour. I will be having them as seems safer for baba rather than not.

Thanks again xx