Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Dec 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breach of confidential information-Advice needed

Hi ladies I'm just after a bit of advice....it's a little complicated but bare with me.... I work in the rail industry, my job is very physical. I had a fall on some stairs last week and hurt my back, I put it in our accident book and was sent to a local walk in clinic to be assessed, I also felt it necessary to tell the shift manager about my pregnancy because I was worried. Because of the duty of care system and the shift change it meant 6 managers in my place of work were inform of my early pregnancy. After my return from the walk in clinic I went to see one of the managers on duty and explained that only my husband knew about it and we would like to keep it that way until we had got past 12 weeks. I was assured that all the managers will be spoken to and be told to keep it confidential. On Friday someone asked my husband, who works at the same place if I was pregnant saying that a few people were talking about it in the mess room and that someone had been told by a "reliable source". I am angry and devastated as it was my news to share and no one else had the right, especially a manager who is in a position of trust. It has also forced us to tell our family early as we were then worried someone would put something on Facebook or tell other family who also work for the same company. To be able to take this further, it means telling more people (union reps). What would you do and any advice?

Replies

• Options
    Was one of the managers that was told your manager? I would go to them and tell them what has happened and say you want it taking further. Is there a grievance policy, its terrible that your trust has been broken like that and you should have an apology for what its worth off the individual x
  • Options
    I've spoken to my line manager today and will be taking a grievance but the problem is, as so many of them knew, I will now have to find out who it was. Or I will have to take a grievance out against all of them?? Still fuming, I don't go back to work till Thursday and I'm not sure if I can keep my cool when I see those managers image
  • Options

I really do hate work drama and politics and not to mention gossip.. I'm really sorry about your fall and that on top of everything, you have to go through all the drama with these managers who can't keep the mouth's shut. 

I got a tad pissed with people who either kept guessing OR tried to ask me in a sleautby way when they had already found out. But don't get too mad, it's not good for your little one! (hug)