Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Dec 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How do you keep is quiet until 12 weeks!

Last time with my DS we gave in just after 8 weeks as had the opportunity to see both sets of parents 1 weekend and didn't want either to find out way ahead of the others sort of thing.  We were going to stay the weekend with 1 set so I knew I couldn't hide it any more (they are used to me having a drink!)

Anyway this time I just feel so rotten, my Dad is baby sitting this morning downstairs while I'm supposed to be working but I'm hiding away feeling rotton and throwing up instead! lol.  We have the weekend away with OH parents this weekend and they will be very suspicoius if I'm not drinking anyway.

I think everyone thinks we are trying anyway - shall we just give in?  I am 7 weeks today, so not much earlier than we told last time!   I can't see me having much of an excuse this weekend if they hear me hurling up as well lol.

Anyone else holding off until 12 weeks and if so HOW do you hide it?!!!

Replies

• To be honest, I didn't!! Due to the nature of my work (psychiatric nurse) I was frequently in risky situations whereby I was at risk of being attacked etc. So I had to tell my boss and colleagues anyway! Obviously family and friends were told before this (at about 4 weeks)! Personally I probably wouldn't have waited even if my job hadnt been an issue! It depends what you're comfortable with, but, for me, I think that there can be complications throughout the entire pregnancy and actually the first tri is when you're feeling your worst so it's really beneficial having people know!! Congrats by the way image

•  

Both sets of our parents knew the day we found out. Purely because they both knew we'd been trying for just over a year.

I honestly don't know how people keep it a secret. In my first three months so far I've had a wedding, 30th birthday and a hen weekend this coming weekend and people have guessed due to my not drinking and not eating my beloved smoked salmon!

Plus also, I've got a small bump already so friends are noticing!

x

• Same here, we told our parents on the day we knew and our siblings and I've told a couple of close friends. It's so hard in work as I've almost let slip a few times.

I have my mw app tomorrow and its at the surestart centre I take my son to which is attached to the school my childminder, next door neighbour and people who work in same area as me take their children to. App is 9am so I need a disguise!x

• Judith chambers how on earth did you go without smoked salmon, I still ate it a once a week because I love it! Did make the heartburn worse though! Sorry to interruptxxx 

• Laurelladie - at the moment I'm not risking it but I may become less strict as I enter my second trimester. I'm sooo missing smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels though! x

• We told my parents straight away as they knew that we were trying, we also told my brother and SIL early (I was 5 weeks) as we don't see them often and they happened to be around, also I knew that if anything happened those would be the people I wanted support from.

We waited until Xmas day to tell his family (I was 10 weeks) and told them not to tell anyone until after the scan, but we had already had a private scan and to be honest we rarely see them so it wasn't too hard.

It was more difficult not saying anything at work whenever anyone opened prawn cocktail crisps... but I managed it and no one guessed. I was lucky and didn't have any sickness though!

• I still ate smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels all through my last pregnancy! I don't think it ever actually occured to me that I shouldn't!  I think the risks are very low nowadays for stuff like that - same with runny eggs, I'm not sure when the last case of salmonella from an egg in the UK was!  I would always avoid seafood eating out though.  

Last pregnancy I was careful in avoiding all the brie cheese etc, and the ones they say not to eat - I kept buying this posh canadian strong cheddar from sainsburys and then one day read the back and it said it was unpasteurised!  They don't warn you about cheddars! 

We have decided to go via my parents house tomorrow afternoon to tell them and then telling OH parents as soon as we get there for the weeked.  This week has been tough hiding from my parents as I see them quite a lot - but I have wanted to wait unitl I was with hubby to tell them together.   They wont tell anyone else until after 12 weeks like last time anyway I guess.  If something had happened early on I would of rather my parents didn't know as my mum is a seriously major major stress head, but I think its unavoidable now.

• I'm waiting till 12 week scan before telling anyone, told my parents early on in my first pregnancy then had a miscarriage and it was awful for everyone, so with my son I waited till 12 weeks and def waiting till 12 weeks with this one. I never told my work colleagues till after 20 weeks last time, I kind of like having a secret!

Anyone got any good ideas how to break the news this time around, was thinking of getting a "I'm going to be a big brother" t shirt for my son and seeing if anyone notices? Last time i gave my mum knitting needles and my dad a packet of worthers originals (grandad's favourite!) and they never got it at all until I explained they were going to be grandparents. Need someting more obvious this time i think...

tp

xx

• We have told close family and friends so far, I just couldn'T keep it a secret! Told them at around 7 weeks, buti will wait to tell wider circle of friends/ Facebookfriends and more distant family until 12week scan. As for work I am trying so hard to keep it secret until 12weeks but it's proving very difficult (im a nurse) as there are a lot of infectious patients at the moment and I don't want to put myself at risk with certain things like measles and meningitis. I have avoided it for now but know I will need to say something soon. Last time I had to say at just 6 weeks and everyone knew way befor my scan so am hoping to keep it a bit more secret this time! X

• We're waiting for the 12 week scan before we start telling anyone.  This is my first pregnancy and my mum has a history of miscarriages so we want to be sure that everything is going well before we tell.  It would be heartbreaking to go around and tell everyone if things went wrong. 

• I think it's so personal, we have told people that we would tell if anything went wrong. Having suffered a loss having our friends and family support was so important x