Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Dec 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeling a little disappointed with first appointment

I've just had my first appointment, I think it’s called the booking appointment, it was basically just to see the midwife to fill in all of the paperwork. 

When I first got there and signed in at reception the receptionist gave me my maternity forms and told me to start filling them in while we wait.  My partner and I were looking through them and clearly they weren't supposed to be filled in by us.  They used all kinds of abbreviations that we couldn't suss out.  Frankly, I think our midwife was just being lazy! I know I was her last appointment of the day, I think she just wanted to get home!

I also wasn't very happy with how unhelpful she was.  At the end of the appointment she handed me the notes and just said "there are some forms in there, hand them in to the pathologist when you get your blood tested".  When I asked where I was supposed to go for the blood testing (not something I tend to do very often!) she told me to just go to the hospital.  I asked what time and she just said "well they close at 5 today so you're too late today".  She really wasn't being very helpful so now I’ll have to ring around to find out if anywhere local does blood testing outside of working hours, I really don’t want to have to take more time off work.  

My final gripe is that she was very cold towards my partner.  When I left the room to get a urine sample she refused to talk to him and during the appointment made a lot of comments like "you're safe to have sex but only if he does the housework" which frankly, I find a little sexist!  My partner is incredibly supportive and since finding out that I'm pregnant, he barely lets me lift a finger!  If I want to do anything myself I have to wait for him to go to work and do it then lol. 

Did anyone else feel annoyed after their first appointment?  Maybe I'm just being over-sensitive! lol

Replies

• Options

I would get refered to a diffrent midwife, you shoudnt have being filling in any forms. And she should have done your bloods while you were having the appointment.

I havnt seen the same midwife, ive had 1 booking in appointment and 1 midwife appointment and im now 24 weeks pregnant, my next one is this monday but its seemed ages between! (10 weeks) 

• Options

wow she seams bitchy!! my midwife is lovely. at my booking app i waited at the desk and she came in because i was the first app of the day and id got there before her, and she said ohhhhhhhhhh this ones mine to the receptionist and took me with her. she had a student with her too. she took my bloods, checked my urine and blood pressure, weight and height and then the student went onto the computer and printed off some stuff and gave the midwife my notes, then my midwife asked me LOADS of questions out of the notes and filled them all in. there was bits i had to fill in at home, like my details and partners details then there was loads of questions i had to tick boxes too about family history stuff. where abouts do you live?? i would seriously not be happy with that at all! shes supposed to look after you, iv never had to go to hospital for any blood tests and im almst 39wks now, my midwife always does them or her helper

• Options

Was same for me, think she'd been treated awful!

• Options

Wow, 10 weeks between appointments is ages! I'm just waiting on my 12 week scan date to come through but my 16 week appointment has already been booked image

I didn't actually take a note of the midwife's name but if I get her again and she is the same I might complain. 

To be honest, I'm not annoyed that I have to go somewhere else to have my bloods done because I am seeing the midwife at the doctors surgery rather than at hospital. Maybe they're not allowed to do it? image lol. I live in Northamptonshire.