Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Dec 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Maternity Clothes

Is anyone else struggling to find shops that sell maternity clothes??

im on a tight budget and can't really afford mothercare & mammas and pappas prices, h&m is the only shop with a decent range where I live except they don't do my size, palaces like Asda & Peacocks, which is where I got most of my stuff lat time have only a tiny selection now and other shops only do online which is a pain in the bum if your fussy like me and like to feel and try on the clothes first image  

Replies

• I found out today that primark now have a maternity section. Maybe worth a look image

• last time I was pregnant my local shopping centre had dorothyperkins , next, h and m and new look and now I just have h and m and new look! They're v good esp h and m but it'd be nice to have more choice! For the summertime I'm just going for stretchy vests and flowing dresses in a larger size ! 

• Don't even get me started!! I caused a scene inNext today by asking how they expectted me to order clothes from them that I couldn't try on! Spent last 2 days trying to find something. We do have an H&M but i'm not keen on the crazy coloured jean even  been so uncomfortable that I was in pregnancy hormone melt down earlier today about clothes! eBay it is. 

• It's silly, m&s said I could order clothes & get them delivered to the store and just return what I don't want but I'd have to pay for it all first!! Same with next and new look.

because I'm already a large size, getting clothes a couple of sizes bigger just isn't an option for me image

where I live we have all the big name large stores and none of them have anything near a decent maternity range, its either jeans or tops that say hands off bump/look at me I'm pregnant sort of thing.... The primark here is massive, the only have thin ill fitting jeans in 4 diffrent colours!  

Hubby suggested I open my own maternity clothes shop down here.....

• It's a nightmare, DP doesnt seem to have any online, river island have stopped doing it so its either topshop, h&m or newlook, I have a next account but cnt see anything i like! x

• This is a nightmare. I am sure it was not as bad with my first. This weekend I struggled to find plain t shirts even. Let alone anything I actually like. 

I have ordered some stuff online, luckily there was still some things in the next sale but it all feels like I have picked the best of a bad lot. Just happy was reduced. 

• I'm also miffed because Next online have my sizes out of stock in everything I want.   Found a few nice websites online but very pricey I think.  I'm still managing without anything.  Going to get my floaty summer dresses out with this weather which helps.  We have a couple of boutiquey type mother & baby stores in town that I am hoping to go try out soon.

• It really annoys me how they expect you to buy everything up front! I've just bout a few tops from hens look for £5 each which I think is good. Although in honestly from last time I'd rather have a few decent things nth an a load of cheap rubbish that won't last. I bough a few Isabella Oliver wrap dresses in tthe sale and they lasted all of last pregnancy and will last all of this one too and they selfe really well on eBay too xx

• I'm having the same problem. I hate buying online because I'm very much between sizes but I've been to three large shopping centres and nowhere but Mothercare (which I found awful sale rubbish) sells maternity anymore. What a joke!

We go on holiday in two weeks and I'm struggling to find trousers. Tops are easy because this season is floaty so I've just just bought the next size up to wear with leggings. But I don't want to live in leggings throughout the summer! The only other option I've got is to buy elasticated waists... 

x

• Found that actually - charity shops are good! And I have found a lady locally who trades maternity clothes on eBay- so I went round and tried loads on. Seems to be so much variation between brands and I'm between sizes too its tricky. 

Lots of the ladies at my aquanatal just bury bigger sizes in tops. It's trousers that are the problem. 

• The problem with buying bigger sizes is that as you get bigger they just make you look a bit fat not pregnant as too big everywhere but bump.  I didn't fully appreciate this until I went to a wedding, bought a bigger normal dress and everyone thought I was ready to drop and I was only 28 weeks.  I thought they were all so rude but them looked atthe photos afterwards and I looks absolutely HUGE! Also they ride up at the front so you have bottom bumpage on show or much shorter at the front than the back which I wasn't a fan of.  Why can't there just be a damn shop that sells nice maternity clothes that don't cost a fortune?!

• I've been struggling a bit myself.  I'm only 4"11 so its been a nightmare trying to find maternity jeans in my leg length!  I've ended up having to spend about £35.00 ordering some from FunMum.  They were a little more expensive than I ideally wanted to spend but they're sooooo comfortable and hopefully they'll last the pregnancy.  Well, provided I don't loose too much more weight...struggling to eat much these days! lol.  At least with plain black maternity trousers for work I can just turn them up image.  As for tops, I'm hoping to get as much use out of my normal clothes as possible before buying any, at which point I'll probably just get some cheap bits off eBay image