Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in July 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Starving hungry but no appetite

Hi all,

I am around 6 weeks pregnant and for the past day or so I have felt ridiculously hungry, like starving, empty, rumbling tummy type hunger, yet when I eat I have no appetite and I can barely force anything down. I don't have much in the way of morning sickness yet- tiny waves of nausea first thing in the morning and the odd wave during the day- but nothing that would put me off eating. I usually love pizza and had one last night for a treat but after 2 slices I couldn't stomach any more of it even though I was still so so hungry....and I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to eat. I usually have a very enthusiastic appetite and will eat anything but I really am wracking my brain for something that I actually want to eat. In early pregnancy, is it normal to feel so hungry but not feel like eating anything (even without morning sickness) or do you think that this is as a result of impending morning sickness and its my body responding to the build up of hormones????

Replies

• Yes this is perfectly normal! I'm the same, feel really hungry but when I sit down to eat I can't face a lot of food. I find it's best just to try and eat little and often. Try not to get the rumbling tummy hungry stage, just graze throughout the day and see how you get on-x-

• Yep, this is exactly how I've been feeling too.  I've decided to just eat little and often like Katie-laaa suggested.

Hope you feel better soon

xxx

• Thanks for your replies. It is good to hear that I am not the only one feeling like this. I will definitely take your advice and graze little and often.

• I've been the same, had steak with mash and onion rings for dinner tonight and I couldn't finish it which isn't like me at all. Think I've got my hubby worried lol.

Little and often is definitely the way to go xx
  • i love my  food , and have been feeling really hungry but after a few mouthfuls am done then 30 mins later i want another snack! so annoying! xxx

• Parma violet, I have that problem too. I am constantly starving so I eat but I seem to get full quickly and/or don't fancy eating anymore of it yet within 10 minutes or so I feel starving again but I don't feel like I can actually stomach much. So I am basically feeling so hungry all the time but I can't seem to eat properly. This is a very unusual feeling for me coz I usually have a big appetite and even when I'm ill I want to eat!!!! 

• I just found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my first baby.  I'm kinda excited but nervous. And these morning sickness are horrible. It's Thursday and I've been feeling extremely sick since Sunday. I went to the hospital yesterday and they had me in the iv for 5 hours. I was bad. I couldn't eat or drink anything at all. Not even water, or that prenatal pill. Right now I'm feeling better But I still feel super weak. The doctor told me I was dehydrated. I wonder if that has to do with it. Please help. I'm usually home alone everyday because my boyfriend gets home late from work. I'm really trying to force myself to eat but I'm just so weak I can barely stand up. Any suggestions?  Please help. 

• Hi MommyToBe20 and congratulations on your pregnancy! Sorry to hear you are suffering so badly with morning sickness, it sounds awful image.This is quite an old thread, it may be better to pop over to the Due in November 2015 Birth Club to talk to others and get advice from others due around the same, they are a lovely bunch! you can find it here: http://www.madeformums.com/forum/my-baby-is-due-in-november-2015/welcome-to-due-in-november-15/170272.html I really hope you start to feel better soon. x