Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in July 2013

I know it's still early but...pushchairs!

Hi everybody,

I'm only 15 weeks at the moment but I am already starting to think about all the stuff that we are going to have to get for baby...and it seems like a very long and expensive list (!) although I actually can't wait to start buying stuff image

Anyway, the one thing that is really baffling me is pushchairs. Does anybody on here know what they are getting or can you recommend any that are particularly good. I want something that it easy to fold up and not heavy to steer. 

Also, does a newborn baby go in a normal pushchair or do they have to go in a special pram?

Also, is it best to get one of those systems where you unclip the pushchair seat and use it also as a car seat or is it best to have seperate car seat and pushchair?

As you can see this is my first child and I am completely clueless image 

Replies

• congratulations hunni... the fun starts here.i used a pushcair that you took the car seat out.it also had a moses basket that u cud attach to it.when both car seat & moses basket arent being used.it was then a pushchair.i only used mine for about 6 months because it was a little heavy to get about & put in our car.so we bought a light weight pushchair from 6 months till now.my daughter is 18 months old.do u av any family or friends that could help out with of the pushchair side of things.i was lucky to have the 1st pushchair set from a relative a little cheaper than buying it new.also i found online lists very helpful.it tells you what u need to get for each room,i.e nursery,feeding time,bathtime etc.hope i'm some help and congratulations again image
  • Hey....thanks for your response. It is all just so confusing and I don't really know many people with babies so I can't get a mixture of opinions on things. I do like the thought of something that is multipurpose and can be changed as baby grows etc. I think I just need to go and visit some pushchair shops and actually get to grips with a few of them and see how they all vary. It is exciting but I feel so utterly clueless that it's actually a bit embarrassing. When we first got pregnant I naively thought we'd only need a cot, a pram, car seat and some babygros...plus a few other minor bits and bobs image Now I'm starting to realise why people say having a baby is expensive!!!!! Haha. 

• Hi Bibby,

First of all don't panic. There are lists on mothercare and boots etc that can help you with what you need. When choosing things think about space and how practical they are. For example some people choose to have a baby bath others don't. i didn;t!

In terms of the pushchair you can get travel systems, pushchairs or prams! The best way to discover what each does is to go and visit a shop and look and ask about them. Independant stores are better but some high street shops are good at advice too. You need to consider what you will use it for the most so are you going to do a lot of walking etc. where will you store it? Newborns need to lay flat so that is why some people choose to start with carry cot. Do you want a large shopping tray? Baby facing you? Adjustable handles!

It is a minefield but if you look at reviews and demonstrations (youtube is good for this) you will get there. In hindsight I might not have picked what I did but i do love it it just didn't suit our small house!

Sb x

• Great advice, sponge_bobby. You have made me think about things I hadn't even considered before. I will definitely go and speak to the experts about it and see how the different pushchairs/prams vary. I have got a list off the John Lewis website so I can start researching everything and find some bargains. Thanks again x