Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in July 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Thinking of having a home birth

This is my third pregnancy, my two other children were born in hospital although I stayed at home till the last possible minute. This time I would like to have a home birth so would be interested in anyone's experiences and any tips that you could offer, such as what would I need to supply and anything u did that helped you during your home birth.

Replies

• I had a home waterbirth with my 2nd and it was amazing. I think being at home makes the labour move along quicker and a lot less stressful. You cant beat getting into your own bed after going through all that! I'm hoping I can have a home birth again this time around. I would suggest a tens machine to ease the contractions in the early stages. You don't need much, Some old towels and lots of those sheets you put on a toddlers bed during potty training (sorry I can't remember their proper name). There are lots of birth stories in the homebirth section of the forum xxx
  • id of liked a home birth but after the birth i had with my 2nd i cant.  hope you get yours though x

• I'm planning a home birth. It makes me laugh when midwives say that you 'can't have a home birth' because of various bits and pieces. I think you'll find dear that I will do what I want, which is to give birth at home. (this was due to some tablets that I was on). Luckily I'm off those tablets now so they shouldn't moan as much :P

We are hiring a birthing pool, midwife has recommended one, and will get plastic sheeting (from DIY store) as well as I've asked around for old towels from people.

You should still pack your hospital bag as well 'just in case'. If you're interested in home birthing, a good website is the homebirth.org.uk website (think that's it) as it has lots of birth stories and also advice on issues that potentially a midwife could advise that you go to hospital for etc.

• I'm planning a home birth as well. It has ruffled a few feathers as I had a c section with my first, but like MrsHunt says you can't be told what you can and can't do. I've done my reading and research, I'm aware how tiny the risk of uterine rupture is and how there are other things which are just as serious and more likely to happen, but we don't have scare tactics for those rammed down our throats! The consultant I saw quoted a higher rate of rupture than I'd read about in a recent UK wide study, when I told her what I'd read she grudgingly said 'well you've obviously done your reading then haven't you'. How are we supposed to trust people when that is their approach?!

Anyway, everything is falling into place, have had my homebirth visit from my midwife, whatever superiors need to know have been told. I'm just hoping that whatever midwife comes out on the day is supportive of what we're doing, have got a friend who used to be a midwife and knows 'the system' coming along as well to help wth any potential conflict!

Sorry that doesn't really answer your questions re the practicalities, we got a pool from a friend, new liner for in it, loads of old towels, still to get plastic for on the floor and a few non-slip shower mats. Getting the box of kit from the midwives soon and they give you a list of all stuff you need so will get more then.

Good luck with your home birth image xx

• an update from me, I opted to have a home birth. 

Went into labour and waited for my contractions to be regular and rang to inform the community midwife office so they could get a midwife to me. 

unfortunatly for me they were short staffed and they couldn't organise one for me. I was told to go to my local hospital to have my baby there. 

baby arrived 45 mins later, healthy baby boy.

So didnt get my home birth after all!