Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Oct 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Let the sickness begin :-(

Hi all, Hope you're all well. I recently said I don't feel very pregnant. Boy has that changed!! Morning sickness started at exactly 6 weeks. I've been feeling nauseous a LOT, and have been vomiting since yesterday. Before meals, after meals.. Haven't noticed a pattern yet. I feel a bit better after being sick, but doesn't last long before I start feeling nauseous again. Sent the hubby out for some ginger biscuits. To make things worse, I had spotting and sharp lower abdominal pains yesterday, went to A+E, they diagnosed a urine infection. So this might be heightening all my symptoms. On some antibiotics now. I've started a new job a few days ago.. I'm not sure what to do about it. I spend most of the day trying not to be sick but have been failing. I'm thinking whether it would be best to leave. Not sure if they're going to be sympathetic, I received the job offer before I knew I was pregnant.

Replies

• aww bless you hun sorry to hear things havnt been good. morning sickness is horrid. what job was it hun and is it full time? if you have only just started it then you wouldnt get maternity pay anyway so its not to bad if you go, just aslong as your stable money wise as another job is vertually impossible when pregnant.

Did they scan you at hospital to make sure baby is ok? my sickness has started today but its only nausea so far, on one of the posts iv put some handy tips on sickness if any of them would help hun x

• I started my current job the day I found out I was pregnant with dd and sickness started soon after. It was horrendous, like you I vowed not to take time off and to act normal but I ended up having to tell my new manager when I was about 7 weeks. She was really understanding. Any good manager would be, they would be breaking the law if you suffered discrimination as a result of being pregnant. For instance, if you are absent due to pregnancy related illnesses it shouldn't count towards your sickness score.

I must admit I did really push myself in my job in a way that I wouldn't have done had it not been a new job and if I get sickness this time like I did then, I will take more time off.

I'm glad I stuck it out because it meant when I was ready to return to work I could do so part time, as your employer is obliged to consider a part time request (though not obliged to grant it). Friends who left jobs when pregnant have found it really hard to find new jobs unless they go full time, which can be hard with a very young child.

That said, if it is really unmanageable and you did decide to leave, as long as you have been working somewhere else recently and meet the requirements you would still qualify for statutory maternity allowance from 28 weeks' pregnant.

Hopefully the sickness is made worse by the UTI and as that clears the sickness will improve. I can't really offer any helpful advice to deal with the symptoms but you do have my every sympathy! Rememer that morning sickness isn't a 9 month long illness and should start to ease in a few weeks. I think with dd it had cleared completely by about 16 weeks and had started to ease by 12-13 weeks.

Becky x 

• Statutory maternity allowance eligibility is here: https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility . I had this when I had dd, awkward to apply for but definitely worth it. It's £135 a week for 39 weeks. Even if you do stick in your job and don't qualify for their maternity pay, you're likely to qualify for this.

• I felt sick literally from conception with my first LO but have hardly any symptoms at all with this baby...! Just needing to pee more, that's it really oh and a few niggly pains in my groin ligaments (had a lot of problems with those during my last pregnancy). Last PG I had the works! And the sickness really kicked in at 6 weeks, so maybe I'll be feeling like crap this time next week LOL! Will be reassuring tho. x