Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Sept 2013

Telling work

Has anyone told work? How did they react? And what did you say? I think I'm going to have to tell school as the latest booking in appointment time offered was 2.45 so I'm going to have to leave early. Do I tell the Headteacher it's a midwife appointment, I have to ask his permission to leave early.

Replies

• Haven't been back from my last lot of mat leave very long so I'm waiting until the 12 week scan - or later if I can.

I'm going to have to think of an excuse if the scan is in work time though!

Last time I told them at 8 weeks as I was really sick and had an early scan - my boss was very supportive but I'm in a different team now.
  • I wouldnt tell them the truth until after your 12wk scan x

• I'm not sure where I could say I was going... It has to be somewhere that I can't organise outside school hours.

Brunette how old is your lo?
  • My headteacher was absoutely fine and really happy for me x

• If you work in a school I think it's best if you tell your head straight away, more so in case there are out breaks of any illnesses that can be dangerous to pregnant women. During my last pregnancy there was an outbreak if slapped cheek so I had to have lots of blood tests.

Good luck though, I was sooooo nervous telling mine!
  • I work in a college and told my nanager on friday. She is keeping it confidential and its great having someone to look out for you. I just feel better knowing that if I am feeling ill she can cover for me. Last time I had a rough first trimester and she was a big help.

Also if your boss is aware it is maternity appointments you don't have to make the time up.
  • My boss knew at about 7 weeks as she took me to mc ds for breakfast at 7am, i thought i was going to pass out and could feel all colour drain from my face. If i gadgets spoken i would have been sick. She said to me, that's what happens when you are pregnant!
  • Just realised i thought this was august group, im due end of august so could easily end up im here x
  • Well I told him the truth and he was fine, I feel so relieved that it is done!