Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Worried I might be depressed

Hi

Having recently been to the docs I was hoping that my blood test results would come back with an explanation as to why i'm so exhausted/tired, cold all the time, suffering joint pain, etc etc. Hoped it might have been my thyroid.

Anyway the test came back all clear and fine. I'm devastated. I've never felt this rough and run down ever. I've got to go to the hospital end of march to try and sort out some stomach/bowel probs i've got. Ofcourse I convinced myself I had bowel cancer after looking on the internet! I'm bascially convinced now that my problems are all down to some awful disease that can't be cured.

This shoul be the happiest time of my life as I have a wonderful partner and a gorgeous 7 month old boy called jacob so why do I feel so bad :cry:

I know no one here has any answers but needed to get it off my chest as my partner, bless him, jus doesn't know what to say.

Julie

Replies

• oh honey!! sorry to hear you feel so crappy!!

without wanting to patronise - do you think it maybe just that you are a mum?

when you become a mum for the first time, even tho he is now 7 months old - you have the running of a baby, house ,job etc to do and having babies are hard work! even good babies are demanding - they dont sleep as long / when you want them to, you just want to grab 5 mins and they wake up, you just want a wee in peace without them shrieking as you've left the room / they've rolled over and cant get back!

even if you leave them wth your oh and nip to the shops, you are so conscious of leaving them and will they be ok, will oh remember to feed him / change his nappy etc

before he came along, on your day off you could have slept til noon, and it wouldnt have mattered - cos you could!! now you know you have your lo to get up for, it spoils the lie-in!

all of it adds up to you becoming exhausted!

it is a good thing that your tests are all ok - honestly
  • I have had similar symptoms to you (but without the baby as yet). The doctor said he thought it was anxiety but did loads of tests anyway. They all came back normal. I have managed to calm down since then and I feel loads better. Interestingly things have gone mad at work, I have so many different projects and events on, but I;m less stressed than when things were quiet.

My doctor directed me to a website called Mood Gym (google it), I have to confess I haven't "finished" it yet, but I did find it helped a little. He said I didn't seem depressed (my reply was that I can't be as I talk too much!). A couple of friends who have had similar problems recommended a couple of books, Women Who Think Too Much and I can't remember the other - but I'll ask my friend again if you are interested.

It's a terrible feeling when you are convinced you are ill and you manage to talk yourself out of the positive. I went to the docs convinced I had bowel cancer and they did UNSPEAKABLE things that cured me of that little thought!

Relax, enjoy your baby and family, find time for yourself and enjoy your friends. I'm not 100% anxiety free but I am coping now. Good luck with it all.