Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

Can't concentate always worrying

Hi ladies,

just need some advice. i was diagnosed with pnd when my little boy was 6 weeks old (hes now nearly 8 months old) ever since then i have found it really hard to concentrate on anything im always worrying about my little boy and thinking that some one could be hurting him and thinking if he is happy. i have been refered for councilling by the doctors but this is going to be in way in the future.

has anyone else been through this and how did you cope.

sorry if this is a bit funny just need to talk to someone and get everything out of my head.
thanks
sam

Replies

• Hi hun

It's such an awful feeling having PND. I was disgnosed with it when Harrison was 3 months old (he's now 3 in 2 weeks), and I still have it. I have had counselling and found it helped me understand why I feel like I do, but it didn't help me to feel any better.

I wouldn't say I worry too much about people hurting him etc, but I do worry that something happens to him 'what if i'm walking with him in his pram and a car loses control and drives on the path and runs him over', that sort of stuff, and I have to fight to put it to the back of my mind otherwise I would never leave the house. I was on anti-depressants ubntil last September when I fell pregnant. I lost the baby just before xmas but have decided not to go back on them.

When Harrison was newborn I felt awful, I wasn't interested in him, I didn't want other people to hold him or go near him, but I didn't want to hold him or go near him either. I was in auto-pilot and fed and changed him cos I had to, without actually feeling anything for him. I have days now where I look at him and think 'I can't believe you're mine', I feel like I am looking after him for someone else and I'm waiting for them to come and get him.

I love him so much and can't bear the thought of being without him, but I have lost so many people who were close to me that the counsillor said it is a defense mechanism, by not letting him in too much and not allowing myself to feel too much for him, it's almost like if something happened it wouldn't hurt as much, though it would hurt just as much, my sub-conscious is trying to protect me I guess.

Sorry if this doesn't really help, I just thought it be useful to know you are not alone and that other people have worrying and random thoughts as well.

I hope the counselling helps.

Sam
    xxxx