Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Why does everyone think they are the perfect mother

Hi

Sorry, i'll warn you in advance this is gonna go on for a bit. I have a 17 month lo who is the best child in the world (not always the case). When she was born she had colic and cried all the time day and night. This really got me down and i ended up on meds for PND. My o/h mother died 4 years ago but he has a sister who is jsut over 40 and has an 11 year old son. When lo was about 8 weeks old i took her over to see my sil as o/h was working. She started having a go at me coz holly still woke up during the night for a bottle and told me just to cut it out and leave her to cry. This then led me leaving her house and going home in tears as i couldnt just leave my baby to cry.

Everytime i saw her she would ask how much lo took in her bottle and when she slept. This went on and still does. I have now taken to saying that she sleeps from 7 til 6:30, (i dont tell her that she still wakes for a bottle sometimes). Even when we go over now (once a week) she still wants to know this stuff.

This is my child. I have had to work hard to get her the way she is. She does not cry now, only when she has a fall. She always gives cuddles and kisses and plays away happily wherever she is. Who is she to tell me how to raise my lo. My o/h agrees with me and just tell her what she wants to hear.

I dont care if she wakes up once a night for a quick bottle why should she. O/h told me that his mum did everything with sils lo.

I'm so sorry about this but i'm jsut so mad. I think i've come a long way with holly just to be told i'm doing things wrong

Replies

• Options
    I can't believe that your sil is acting that way! It sounds to me like she needs to keep her nose out of your business, yes of course she wants to know how her niece is doing, but like you say this is your child. It is up to you and your oh how you bring your daughter up and your sil does not need to know every single little detail, and she certainly doesn't have the right to comment on the way you do things. If I were you, I would sit down with your sil (or ask your oh to do so) and explain politely that you find her comments hurtful and nosy, and that if you want her advice you will ask for it!! It may be that she is just trying to be helpful and hasn't even thought about what she is saying and asking.

Hope you manage to sort things out.