Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

can you have antenatal depression?

beacuase i am only 8 weeks preg and feel like shit, i think it is more than likely due to the conctant sickness and lack of sleep cos i cant rmember what a good nights sleep is! and i cant stop crying and its because i am so fed up that i cry, ?

Replies

• chloe123

Yes it is and I would say speak to your Dr or Mw asap.

I suffered horrendous depression and hyperemsis until 16 weeks when i sadly miscarried but what I want to say is that I never said anything to anyone and let myself get deeper and deeper into a real mess. To the point where I wanted to abort my Bean because I was so beside myself with confusion and depression that I didn't know who i was anymore. Its a set of feelings that haunt me now after losing my baby because I cant take back the thoughts of despair that I was having and I feel guilty for not loving my baby the way I should have.

I realise now after the even that the doctors/ Mw could have helped me even if it was just to get me extra support. You have done the best thing by coming to this site and sharing your feelings.

Good luck and it will be ok. I have spoken to my doctors since and they have been really lovely and its a common problem apparantly and there is lots they can do to help

xxxx
  • Yes, you absolutely can. I had it with my first son who's now 6 (not with next one tho) and my GP said it's on the increase but not as well recognised at PND. I just cried and cried for no reason and not even my closest friends knew about it. I was offered anti depressants but chose not to take them (not advising that either way, it's your choice). Everyone expects you to be over the moon but you just feel so crap it's hard.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm disregarding your feelings cos it takes bottle to come on here and admit you're not coping but I think it may be a little too early to diagnose definite depression. The way you're feeling is sooo common (sorry, not that that makes you feel any better :roll: ) and it's surprising the strength of those hormones and the way they make you feel, you can feel totally overwhelmed. Hopefully this is only a bad few weeks and you'll feel better when the sickness and tiredness stops but in the meantime try and talk to someone. Hope you feel better soon.
    Loopy x
  • Yes unfortunately you can! cos i've suffered it twice now but this time its much more severe, and i'm on Sertraline 50mg tablets thou to be honest i really don't feel they work, but they must be. I hate that i haven't been able to enjoy this pregnancy especially seeing as this is going to be my last one ever, cos after this the hospital is planning on steralizing me.
  • I felt extremely depressed during my pregnancy, I absolutely hated being pregnant and just wanted to crawl into a hole.

What I would say is at 8 weeks pregnant you will be feeling so knackered and very hormonal. I cried A LOT in my first trimester! So please don't write yourself off as a sufferer of AND when in fact this could be due to those pesky little hormones going beserk in the first couple of months.

Give it a few weeks, think positively and hopefully you'll be blooming in no time at all :\)
  • Hi hunny.

I agree with all the other posts-yes you really can suffer prenatal depression!! I had it (luckily not to severley) and had to be signed off work for three weeks. I am now suffering pretty bad PND but think that its easier to deal with because I have more of an idea while I am feeling the way I do!!
    Try and think positive and definately go and see your doc. Good luck xx
  • Hi

I agree with everyone too!image I didn't know it was so common thoughimage I was signed off work for 6 weeks when I was pregnant with my little girl. I felt so depressed and had really bad sickness and headaches. I chose not to take anything for it and to see how it went. I found it helpful to go for some nice walks and watch and read nice thingsimage At 20 weeks it seemed to just go away and I enjoyed the rest of my pregnancy. The good thing about telling the midwife at this point is not only the support you will reveive but also the fact that she will keep a close eye on you once you have had your little one. That way if you do have problems with postnatal depression it will be diagnosed early and you wont have to deal with it any longer then you have toimage I suffered really badly with baby blues but because it was known that I had problems in the beginning I had extra support straight away and it got better really quickly!

I hope you find the support you need!

Take care

Anna XXXX
  • I had this when i was pregnant with my eldest daughter mainly because i had lost one before her and was terrified it would happen again. I almost stopped working completly as i was scared i'd too much and lose her, i'd cry all the time at home and at work and i i could not understand why i felt that way. I don't think anti-natal depression is very common so my doctor took no notice and said it was just hormones but all i wanted to do was stay in doors locked away safely. i did not start to feel better until i went on maternity leave at 30 weeks and because i was home i was happier but still very down and still cried a lot. Only my husband knows how bad i was as i didn't tell anyone else but i wish i had as i was so upset that i couldn't enjoy my pregnancy more. But my youngest is now 10 weeks old and i had agreat pregnancy with her and really enjoyed it as i talked about my fears with friends and it helped so much.
    Don't keep it all locked up-talk about or write it down, hopefully it will help. xxx