Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

deleted

[Modified by: wannanother on 05 August 2010 19:25:04 ]

Replies

• I was on citalopram before I had my little one and have just been prescribed it again. I was taken if it and put on imipramine whilst I was pregnant. I havent started taking it yet though!

I think you should have the PND test again babe because it is nothing to be ashamed of and that way you will be treated correctly

I must admit it did help with my panic attacks and I never got the suicidal thoughts! I was also having counselling though because I had tried to commit suicide a year before falling pregnant so maybe it was because of the counselling i never had these side effects.

I hope you feel a bit better soon hon but am always around on the site if you need to let off steam!

Love Lee
    xxxxx
  • My friend was diagnosed with PNA - which was post natal anxiety, which was due to her little one being prem and having loads of problems early on and being really unsettled that I think she just became anxious about leaving the house incase lo kicked off! It might also be part of PND, I think it's a complex issue, and you might be better trying the test again and being honest with yourself. That way you might get the right sort of help and get through this, for your kids' sake if nothing else.

Good luck

Rachael
  • Regarding the feelings u had hun, I don't think it was the pills tbh - they take a good 2 wks to get into ur system so I would imagine they would take that long b4 u would feel any effects, good or bad. I would really recommend going back to ur gp hun, and maybe getting some counselling sessions too - I think u would benefit from talking to someone as much as the pills would help you. It's an illness hun, nothing more and u can get thru it - don't try and cope on ur own. We've all either been thru it or are dealing with it now so come on here as well hun, and talk to us too coz it really does help talking to people that totally understand what ur going thru as well as the professionals.

**big hugs** hun
    xxx
  • Lauragcam, are you quite young? I only ask because my cousin was given anti-deppressants and did take her own life. She was only 21 and it is beleived that the pills caused it. It is known that certain pills effect younger people in different ways.
  • hi donna, thats terrible about your cousin. i am 26. it does say that they are more likely to give suicidal thoughts to under 24s, so im not far off it. it was the most terrible experience of my life, i really dont feel that way atall, didnt ever feel that way before taking them, and have never felt that way since. i think they should be banned personally. my brother was prescribed the same ones as he has ME and got depression, and after 3 days he had to stop taking them cause he woke up and couldnt move his body and his eyes were flickering! anyway the pharamist and doc reassured me i was just really sensitive to those pills. i am now just going to get counselling about panic attacks rather than meds.

was your cousin on them for depression or for panic attacks (if you dont mind me asking)...i really dont think people should be given something that might make them feel worse personally. x
  • I dont know the reasons why she was given them, I wasnt close to her so she wouldnt have confided in me, it was so sad for her immediate family though. I agree they should be banned, common sense says its too dangerous a side effect for it to be risked.
  • Hi hun I dont suffer from panic attacks but suffered from pnd after my first and was prescribed the same pill as you mentioned and within the first couple of days I was that low that I seriously thought of taking my own life. My family has a history of depression and my dad killed himself when I was 3 and I believe that the reaosn I didnt when I was low was the thought of my daughter growing up without me as I know how that felt and the sadness and anger I feel when I think of my dad.

I was fine with pnd with my second but my lil manis 3 and a bit weeks and can see the signs of pnd already but will refuse them pills. I dont like the way I am feeling but really dont want to feel even lower.

I didnt realise about the age though as when I had my youngets I was only 21 and only 24 now so that is definately interesting and maybe a reason I can use with my doctors why I dont want them pills, as I know my doctor and they are really pill happy and just prescribe rather than listen tbh.

Anyway I just wanted to add my story I can see myself on this forum as I find it easier to talk here rather than family.

Thanks to all for listening xxx
  • hi madnbella,
    sorry to hear you had the same terrible experience with those pills. even if your doc advises you get them again, you dont have to take them, they clearly only make you feel worse, as they did with me. the first doc i saw was adamant i should have pills, but then another nicer one actually listened to me when i told her that after that experience id rather just deal with the panic attacks myself than risk another type of pills doing that to me too.

did you just stop taking them after that? i have heard (well read on other forums) of other people who have experienced those feelings with citalopram but kept taking them and eventually felt better...but no way was i going to risk it with my kids to think of.

how are you feeling now? if you wanna chat just add me on msn.

l.graham1@hotmail.com

• Hi

I am a older mum of 4 I had severe PND after my second child with suicidal thoughts, panic attacks all the time, couldn't sit down, paced the room and didn't sleep at all for the first nine weeks after birth.
    I had phycotherapy and tranquilizers. It took me seven years to get myself off the tablets without much help from Doctors.
    I made it through and went on to have twin girls and was fine.
    I am now a Life Coach and I am offering 2 free over the phone sessions to anyone suffering from PND to help you on the road to recovery. Let me tell you you are not crazy, you will recover, it may take time, and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    e-mail me janis.perkins@lifematters4u.co.uk visit www.lifemattters4u.co.uk
    Together you and I can work through this and come up with a plan to manage and get you through PND.
  • I know how you feel. I was given prozac..I stopped taking them (I've taken them before). I work from home full time selling ad space with a 7 month old little boy who will not sleep. I smoke again now...helps a bit...I have dry skin, look like crap and have wondered if it's worth it...but I love the children soo much I could never consider leaving them....I'm off for a pamper this weekend...hubbie has all three children for a night (10, 5 and 7mths)..I'm still up as trying to get him prepared!!!! I need to go to the Dr but never seem to get the time. I know I need counselling (lost a baby and Dad from Cancer). Had to fight my way through the past couple of years....keep your chin up chuck!!! You can do it!! I'm giving it my best shot!!! xxx