Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

re: pnd??

posted a topic a 2 weeks ish ago, asking whether or not any1 had got the same symptoms as i did. well, i went to the doctors this morning and they confirmed that i have pnd. feel reaaly strange at the moment as i dont really believe it. i know i feel awful all the time, and the doctors do know what they are talking about but i still feel like it couldnt happen to me. any one else felt like that?? been prescribed citalopram so hopefully things are looking up. deep down, i know i do have pnd, but i just feel like i shouldnt. so confused!!

love grace and baby erica xxx

Replies

• hi Grace - yep I feel the same... I feel I should be able to cope, after all its my third and I (think) I know what I'm doing so why now??! I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care x
  • I found it quite difficult to come to terms with too. Also i'm 23 (so not really really young i know) but I kept thinking i'm too young to have it - why age would make a difference I don't know- but that's how I felt at first.
  • I've had a touch of mild PND with each of mine but the bout I had after my 4th was bad - I had anxiety and panic attacks thrown in on top!

I think you just have to remember just like diabetes or illnesses like that don't discriminate neither does PND - and it's treatable and recoverable from!!

And keep talking to people - on here, family, friends......a support network works wonders image
  • i know what u mean becci boo, im only 19 - 20 next week. i have only told one friend and my oh about it. dont want to tell my mum or any1, i just really think they wont believe me. sounds stupid i know, but i can picture the reaction now. my mum would go "eh?! dont be so bloody stupid!" i know it. i was expectin a bad reaction outta my oh, i thought hed think i would say it purely as an excuse for being a shit recently, but he didnt, he was just worried y i hadnt told him how i was feeling already, even though i tried. but he has been goin thru a lot recently, both his parents have been having cancer screening an tests to see if they have cancer. and t all happened at the same time. i didnt wanna worry him with my problems too. and i know i can cope with the baby, she is amazing and i couldnt ask for a better behaved baby. its just the rest of the world that im battling.

have been making jokes about me being on happy pills and stuff tonite, kinda makes me feel better just looking at it in a funny way! i suppose its one way of kinda saying how ur feeling without it being too serious or depressing (oh the irony!)

thanks girls

love grace xxxx
  • I couldn't tell my mum either. She only knows now cause she found my tablets but she's been really great and supportive. Oh was the one who forced me to go as I was in denial that there was anything wrong. I just blamed it all on hormones and kept saying it was normal to be like that after having a baby. .

Oh told his mum about it and I felt really ashamed of it and it took awhile till I could face her again

Glad ur oh is being supportive though hun and I hope you start to feel a bit better soon x
  • i know i am gonna have to tell some time, but i just want people to believe me. my oh has been brilliant since i was diagnosed, making sure i get sleep and not get stressed.

also, im still living at home until i get stuff sorted, so when my HV comes to see me and asks about it, im worried my mum wll be there. but ive been trying not to worry about it, as that makes me worse.

im worried people will not be able to notice the difference from normal me, to depressed me, and not believe me. does that sound really stupid???! xxx
  • Not at all. I'd put on a really happy loving it all front in front of other people so everyone always commented on how well I was coping etc. It was only when alone or with oh that I let it out. Think that's why he took the brunt of it taken out on him.

I was also at home at the time but hv didn't come to see me as she went on maternity leave about 2 weeks after i gave birth.

When my mum found out though she really helped me and would take Rhys just so I could go and sob in the bath away from everyone.
  • Hey all

I can completely understand everything you talk about, i had PND with my 1st 6 yrs ago, I have just found out im pregnant with my 2nd in jan and i'm really worried i will get it again.

I was in denial, i bluffed off the health visitor with her forms and it wasnt till a lot later on that i admitted there was something wrong.

I often thought about just veering my car off the side of the road with us all in it and was so hysterial one day i sat at the kitchen table ready to take all my pills in one go. It really was horific!!!

but it took a while, and i managed to start to get myself out of it, i still have really black days, when i get down, but i know when theyre coming and as i have got older, im better able to deal with it.

I am worried i'll get it again, but i know ill see the signs better and not bury my head in the sand.

Good luck to you all, it will get better X