Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

INLAWS

Hi really need to get this of my chest mdoctor has said that i have poatnatal depression and that i sould start to tell peoe how i feel but i cant

Anyway i got my OH nan camin over to stay tonight but i really dont want her to.
You see when i went into labour with sean, i did plan for my mum and my OH to be my birth partners. But when i was in the labour room his nan, sister and mum all came in and they stay outside the room intill i give birth. I had soo much drugs put in me that i was out of it but when i did give birth to sean the baby doctor btake him away to test his blood (just to check his platelets.) When i was havin my stitches put in my OH nan, sister and mum all walk in again to see the baby left the door wide open now bear in mind that i was having my stitches done with my legs open. The nurses were going mad and his sister turn round and said "IT DOESN T MATTER WE ARE ALL GIRLS" My mum was going nuts, then his mum pick up sean even when i hadn t even had a hold of him, i didnt even know what he look like, then she was havin pictures with him. After 10 minutes she had the cheek to ask me if i wanted a hold, then telling me that i was holding him wrong i was so close to tears.
Ever since then all his family have been trying to take over and instead of me speaking i didn t i keep it all in. All i wanted to tell them was that i wanted to bond with sean and it felt like they didnt want me to, I hurt my OH because i was getting so mood with him and taking everything out on him that we all most did break up, when i couldn t take anymore i told him how i was feeling i he said that i hurt him by not talking to but i didnt feel i could talk to anyone, i felt like i was in a black hole were i couldnt get out. So my OH take me to see my doctor and she said i have postnatal depression and instead of my keeping it in i had to tell people hoe i feel but i cant, i have only been on these tablets for 2 days and they still dont seem like they are working.
My OH told his family about my depression and wat they have to stop taking over and they wasnt allow to pick sean up without asking me first but they are still not taking any notice. But now his nan is staying over so she can sort her new house out and i feel like i going to go back down hill why wouldn t they like me bond with sean he is my first child not theirs. All i want to do is get better not go back into that dark hole again.

Really sorry it is soo long but i really did need to get it off my chest i do feel a lil better writing all this down instead of locking it away.

Thank you

Fiona and Sean

Replies

• Oh Fiona, thats awful!

I had a traumatic end to my labour and there is no way i would have wanted anyone in the room with me a part from my oh especially when your being stitched up!

Your inlwas are being totally ignorant and thoughtless...no wonder you have PND. It is true talking about it will help if only to have a rant, you've made the first step by seeing GP. Your OH needs to make sure that his parents etc understand what PND is and how they must back off and let you and your oh bond with baby Sean. Remember its not their right to hold him and fuss etc its a privelage that should not be taken for granted.

Good luck lovely, I hope things lighten up soon for you xxx

• OMG your inlaws are even worse than mine! You should just find the strength to tell them to back off. Two words and then walk away. They will have to learn to stay away and give you some space. Im so sorry to hear of your birth experiance, it sounds horrendous but all because of your inlaws. Tell your OH that if he dosnt hit the message home to them that you will have to stop them having access to your lo when you are about as it is so upsetting for you the way they treat you both. Hun try and be strong, i know its hard but it will be for the best in the end.
    PS it can take up to 2-3 weeks for the tablets to kick in. x
  • you poor thing, your inlaws sound awful, in fact i think i may have the same ones! my inlaws all discussed being there for the birth but i was fortunate enough for them not to be there, however the snatching out of my hands and telling me i'm doing things wrong makes me feel terrible,eg: my oh was told by his mother that i shouldn't always assume he needs feeding when he crys and its sinful, i wanted to burst out crying, how DARE she, theres more and it still gets me down 4months on, but this is about you, i would suggest you talk to oh and tell him if he can't get it sorted youll have to do something about it yourself, the fact that he's aware your depressed should help. anyway i think if it was me just the thought of having them stay in the house would cause me trouble so, is it possible you go to your mums for a while? if shes actually staying with you you will really need the breaks and not the added pressure. good luck and take care of yourself
  • Just had to reply to this - feel so sorry for you. Why didn't your oh say anything to his mum etc - he should have realised you wouldn't want them in there.

Hope you get some space and respect from them soon - it's not fair that they force their opinions on you just because they had children all that time ago.

I would have totally flipped by now so you're doing well to keep it together.

Just remember that if you don't put your foot down now they'll take advantage until he's grown up. He's YOUR baby and YOU decide who gets to hold him, kiss him, fuss him etc.

Hope you getting enough support from your oh now. xx
  • OMG Can't believe the part about you being stiched up. That is awful. Sometimes mil's really don't think. I guess she is prob so excited and proud that you have been pushed to the background. I know that doesn't help but you will get better. I only say this as I went through similar with my in laws for weeks and weeks, couldn't bare them picking baby up or even commenting on him. Did my best to not see them etc and it became an awful prob between me and oh. Try not to let that happen. In the end oh spoke to in laws and they backed off a bit. It took weeks but 4 months on i am just about getting ok with them holding him etc. I was separated from baby when he was born as he was in special care and took to other hospital and in laws went to see him when i couldn't and i will always resent them for that. I was also told that depression was because i wasn't keeping myself busy enough!!! And i needed to get out more (i was by the way!!) Then they went on about how much they loved grandson etc etc especially after we nearly lost him and then they booked a holiday and buggered off for 2 wks?!!

Hmm
    Could go on for hrs but advice is to speak to mil in private and explain how traumatised you were and try not to blame her just say that you need to bond with him etc and though you appreciate her advice (sticking nose in) you want to learn on own.
    Good luck.Please let us know how you fare x xx
  • hiya hun, how you doing? your meds will take a few weeks to work just hang in there. your inlaws have been extremely INSENSITIVE and i think they do need to be told how you feel about it, even if you get hubby to do it for you, hehe.
    how old is your l/o?
    you have every right to say that you want time just the 3 of you so you can bond as a little family and don't want people round all the time, you not up to it, feeling low etc.
    how long will hubby's nan be staying for? (could she stay somewhere else?)

good luck hun **big hugs**
  • His nan only stay for 2 nights but it did feel like a life time. She was only staying because she has now gone and got a house in my area, his nan has lived in bristol for the past 40 years and now since having sean, she is moving back to wales and instead of getting a house in cardiff were my OH parents live she gone and got a house by us.

I've have always got on with his nan so when it was just me and her i tried to tell how i was feeling and told her about my depressian and i told that what happen at the hospital has made it worse, i told her i was having nightmares because of the way my labour turn out. But then his nan said that i should just get over it because when she moves into her house she doing a room out for sean to sleep so she can have him for a couply of days. i told her there was no way i will be letting him go she said i had to get over it because she his nan. When my OH came in i told him what his nan how said and he did stand by me and told her that we are both not ready for sean to go anywere without us. And sean wouldnt be staying over her house intill he is much older. And i really dont think she like it.
    When my OH mum and dad came round my OH told them about my depressian and how i was feeling and they both said they understand and they will take it slow with me. I never throught his mum would be the one to understand, she now askeds me if she can hold him and when i say no she just smiles and says its fine. The only trouble i am having is my OH sister and nan at the moment.

Thank you everyone who replyed it did really help. Im just glad im not the only one going through this and i am glad i have got friends who know how i am feeling and know what i am going through. thank you.

Sean is 3 months on the 13 may.
    Love fiona xxxxxxxxx
  • i am so glad that oh is standing by you and that at least his parents are trying to be more understanding. with any luck the nan and sister will in time too, esp as you will now have the support of oh and his parents. be strong. i have discovered that having a baby really brings out a different side in some people, and people who you thought were lovely and caring turn out to be selfish and insensitive. like just married, i still (try as i might not to) harbour a certain amount of ill feeling towards my inlaws i don't feel i will ever be able to fully forgive them and tbh i half expect them to move in with us when they can find the right excuse, and for this reason i think it is really important that you are able to sort all these problems out sooner rather than later. NEVER let anyone feel they have priority over you, they don't, you are his mother and you know what is best for your son (and for yourself for that matter) it is noones right to have your baby in their house except yours! do you think his nan was the sort to have let her baby out of her sight, i'd imagine not, so don't feel guilt about your feelings, everyone is different and your oh is behind you which really does mean a lot. i am so sorry you are having to go through this and i really hope you are able to sort it sooner rather than later.
    Also i know it's probably not on your mind right now but if you do have a second i am pretty sure you can be specific with your midwives as to who can be let in and when, they should have your best interests in mind not the other parties!

good luck, take care and thinking of you
  • aww fiona **hugs**
    your half way there with the family! and at least o/h is sticking up for you with his nan so she's just going to have to live with it isn't she!! lol!
    enjoy your l/o hun =D
    how you doing at the minute?
  • im getting there slowly. The tablets i've been taking have really help. I got to see my doctor tomorrow and take sean for his 2nd lot of injections so im not looking forward to that. Well im still not speaking to my OH sister i really do hate her at the moment, his nan is still been a bit funny towards me but to tell you the truth i'm not going to let her get to me. The weather has made me feel ever better its been so hot, so on my Oh day off we take sean to the beach for the first time and we had a great time with just the 3 of us.

I hope every1 else is havin a gd time with the weather.
    Thank you all so much for helping it means a lot to me.

love Fiona and baby sean xxx
  • Have you read back thru ur posts hun??? I've just read them and the diffenece between this last one and the very 1st one is amazing!!!!! I'm so pleased things are looking up for you now, and that ur feeling more in control than you were - it certainly shows image

Families can be so difficult to deal with but u had the support of ur oh and that always makes a difference. And a happy belated 3 month b'day wish to Sean xxx