Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

Baby blues?

For the past couple of months, i've not been myself. I've got a shocking temper and i keep losing it with the baby. I shout and scream at him, which is the most awful thing and i hate myself for it. Everything annoys me and i fly off the handle all the time. It's not like me at all, i hate conflict and shouting and am usually fairly laid back. I never thought i'd be the type of mum who shouts and swears at their child and i want to stop it but i can't seem to snap out of this. Sometimes i just hate the baby and would happily leave him somewhere although i do love him more than anything in the world.
I've been to the doctor, and he says it could be a bit of the baby blues but not pnd. so what can i do about it?
I have a couple of family problems at the moment as well but i couldn't tell the doctor because to be honest, it's something so horrific that i couldn't bear to tell someone face to face what it is.

Replies

• hiya huni
    i just had my second baby she 9 weeks now n in have just been told i have post natal depression

if ur not happy n really feel this way ask 2 see another doctor i was like that with my eldest always shoutin at her but i also feel tired stressed cryed alot if u have all them 2 u have post natal depression cause thats exacly what mine is like

if u need sum1 2 chat 2 e-mail me charlotte_12-34@hotmail.co.uk or add me on msn

hope speak soon
  • Hi, how old is your lo?

I am no doctor but it sounds to me like you are suffering from a bit more than the baby blues! Have you done the pnd test from your hv?

I would call your hv and get her to come out and see you and be really honest with her. I have told my hv stuff that I haven't told anyone else and it really helps just to talk to someone.

Let us know how you are! x
  • thanks girls.
    i'm awful today. it was all going well. the baby only got up once during the night so i got a bit of sleep for once and he was in a good mood this morning. but then he started to get sleepy and instead of going to sleep he's just been rubbing his eyes and crying for what seems like forever. so i totally lost it with him, shouting and swearing at him. then i just dumped him in his cot and left him. i'm not fit to be a mother. now i'm just sat here in tears, feeling guilty, and i don't know what to do. i don't think it's safe for me to be here on my own with him.
  • ((((big hugs)))))

You really don't sound good and I really think that you need help. Have you talked to your OH about it at all? Can he see that there is something wrong? Please try and go and see another doctor for a second opinion, a woman doctor if you can. I personally find it much easier to talk to a woman about it and I feel like they understand more.

You are not a bad mother, you have an illness and need help. Try not to beat yourself up about how you are feeling (I know its hard) but if you feel it is getting too much just put our lo in his cot and leave the room, go and take a break and then go back to him when you feel you are more prepared.
  • i dont think its the baby blues you have, i too am no doctor but it does sound like pnd. Speak to your hv and ask her for some help. My hv came to my house to see me as i could nt leave past my front door. Is there anyone who could look after your lo for an hour jsut to help you get some sleep or go for a walk. you are not an unfit mother. being a mum is a full time job and a hard one at that, i dont think many people realise who it can affect you mentally and physically. its hard to have someone rely on you 24/7 and not be able to tell you whats wrong with them.

I would def speak to doc or h/v. they may be able to offer some help or meds.

Sorry i havnt been much help but i was feeling like this last year and didnt get help right away and i ended up having a breakdown. I wish i had found this forum befare then and had the people on here to talk to
  • Thanks again girls.
    Bizarrely i feel back to normal at the moment - cried all day and now i feel fine!
    Gonna call the doc tomorrow though and see if i can see a different one. There's definitely something wrong with me.
    How do they fix this? Is it just antidepressants or is there another way?
  • If you don't want to take any anti depressents i'm sure your doc could help with something else. Also your h/v could put you in touch with some groups. I've been going to a therapist for the past few weeks on a 1to1 basis. I also went to a support group for mothers with pnd and found that quite helpful as we all spoke about what we were going through and no one was judging me ( i also cried most weeks at it)

Its good you're going to the doc though. Just be honest and hopefully they will put you in the right direction

Take care and let me know how you get on

Lynda and Holly
  • Just to let you know that i spoke to my hv and she was great. I don't have pnd, just had a few bad things happen that have stressed me out. She reckons that if i can get baby into a routine and sleeping through then i'll have the energy and time to myself that i need to sort my head out a bit.
    Think she's probably right so i'm going to give it a go. Glad i don't need meds!!!
    Thanks for your support for the last couple of days girls, really appreciate it!!
    hugs to everyone and their babies.
    cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx