Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Its back.

I've been doing really well. Was depressed after Max was born and it lasted a few months, then things started looking up and I was really happy.
But recently I've started feeling "detached" again, like this is all being played out on a screen and I'm just watching, but not involved. Max is 7 and a half months old and is really happy. He's a little imp and has the cheekiest smile. He's started babbling and sounds so cute, I should be really enjoying him and my life at the moment.

I hate having PND - it just comes out of no where and catches you off guard. There doesn't seem to be anything you can do to stop it, either. I look at other mums with their LOs and have started feeling jealous but I don't know why. I feel quite hostile towards other people. Usually in a supermarket for example, if someone walks slowly in front of me I just walk patiently behind and look at the shelves, but lately I've felt like ramming into the back of them and telling them to get out the f***ing way!
I have no energy and a constant headache. When I get home and the flat is still a mess I feel even worse. But I have no energy to do anything.

I think I should probably go to GP this time.
Sorry for long post, you don't have to reply just feel better now I've got that off my chest xxxxx

Replies

• This is so close to how I have been and I only recently went to GP nearly 3 weeks ago and Maddie is 11 months.
    I have been taking anti d's since seeing her and felt an improvement straight away, more from the fact that I was taking control than the pills working, the last couple of days have been a little bleak but today has been a really up day and it is the first time since Maddie was born that I have felt anywhere near my old self.

Please speak to your GP rather than suffer, I left it so long and could have enjoyed my time with lo so much more, I really feel I have missed out but am now slowly getting back on track and looking forward to my time with my girl.
    xx
  • Also, ask them to do blood tests regarding an under-active thyroid......someone posted regarding this elsewhere. it is quite common after pregnancy and birth and can cause fatigue, listlessness and other stuff that makes u feel down and edgy. it can also be mistaken for pnd sometimes.