Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Fluoxetine?

Have just come back from the doctors after filling in a form the other week and she tells me I am high on the scale of stress and depression (I am not really suprised, I have just been trying to hide it and hope it would go away).
She has given me Fluoxetine tablets but my mum does not want me to take them as she had a bad experience with anti d's a while back.
I took Prozac about 13 years ago and found they helped but because I am so usless at making a desciaion at the moment and my mum is against it I do not know what to do.

Has anyone had any experience of this tablet?
Did it help?
Did you get any side effects?

Any information would be great.
Thanks I'm so confused and even more stressed!

Replies

• Hi, I was prescribed Fluoxetine when I was depressed. I was really suicidal. I found that they did help yes, however took a while to kick in. However, everybody's different. If they do take a while, don't stop taking them. As far as your mum not wanting you to take them - as much as we love our parents, sometimes we have to do what is right for ourselves. If you feel that this might be the answer you're looking for, then give them a try. How many months prescription did you get?
    The only side effect I experienced was a really dry mouth, however I'd prefer that to depression/anxiety. Hope you come out of the fog soon. xx
  • I have suffered pnd twice the first time round my mum gave me so much hassle that this time I haven't bothered to tell her I'm back on them.

The way I look at it is this (and I have said this so many times on this forum lol) if you have asthma you take an inhaler, if you have diabiaites you take insulin- these are prescribed by our GP's and we ask no questions so why when you have an imbalance of hormones in your brain (pnd) do you question whether or not to take the prescribed medication to correct this- I think most ppl are worried what other would think.

WELL DON'T TELL THEM!!!!!

My mum has no idea I'm back on my meds and I have absolutely no intention of telling her- she doesn't need to know- she worries and then she bends my ear about it result we are both stressed- this way we are both fine.

Pnd will only get worse if you don't do SOMETHING about it- my sil battled on for 18 months before giving in and she has caused serious damage to her marriage as a result.

I am not trying to scare monger here I just want you to know how seroius this can be. You and your family (ie your oh and your lo) are the most important issues here everyones happiness can be affected but one persons unhapiness because you are a unit- so fix your unit and let everyone else outside your home address look after there own lives.
  • fluxatine or melaril as they are also know , you tend to find old biddies on melaril when they have got dementure to keep them quiet and a little sub-dewed i would go back to the doctors and ask for something else when left off these pills will make you go haywire so please be carefull what your doing
  • After reading your post MITZI, i googled Fluoxetine and melaril and they seem to be 2 different drugs as it is saying not to take them together.
    Fluoxetine is actually Prozac, can I ask where you got the above info and are you sure they are the same? as all the sites I have just looked at say different.
  • My mum has been taking this for a few years now, she suffers from anxiety and depression. Since taking it she is so different and more relaxed. I think people worry that taking anti depressants will make you a 'different person' (if you get me?) but I dont think this is right at all. I agree with KThom122 that people take medication for other illnesses and PND is an illness like any other. I would try them for 6 weeks and see how you go. Don't feel like you need to discuss it with your mum - I love my mum, but sometimes when I ask for her advice on something I wish I hadn't bothered as she leaves me even more confused! :lol: x
  • My partner was on fluoxetine for anxiety and depression. He stopped taking it as he had a few ill side effects and was constantly tired and spaced out, he really wasn't himself. He is now on citalopram and has so far been fine on them and has none of the side effects he had on fluoxetine. if I was you I would take it for a week, if you have any side effects go back the doctors, explain whats happening and ask for a different drug. If you don't suffer any side effects you are more than likely going to be ok on them! from
    claire, 19, liverpool xx
  • i was prescribed fluoxetine last year when i was suffering from depression. for the first few weeks they made me feel very suicidal. after a while thought they kicked in and i started to feel mcuh better.
    it can't hurt to give them a try. I was in them for 2 months.
  • Thank you for your help.
    Worried about getting worse as my oh is not very supportive at the minute (doesn't believe in depression), I am worried if I sink lower I have no one watching out for me but at the minute I am feeling so low I don't know what else to do.
    I am hoping my relationship will improve if I start taking them as something has to give, at the mo I am considering leaving but we have a house and business together so it is all very complicated.
    When I try to work out how I feel about him I just feel numb, not sure if this is because I am depressed.
    Sorry to go on, I am so crap at talking about feelings and find it so much easier to express myself like this so thanks for being there. x
  • sorry to hear about your oh, i think your really brave! There is couple therepy that you both can go 2 that can help your oh to understand whats happening to you better. your doctor can sign you up for it. Hope things get better! claire xx
  • He would never in a million years go to something like that but thanks for the suggestion.
    I just need to get myself on track and then I will be strong enough to decide what to do next.
    Tomorrow morning I am going to take the first pill and hope that is the first step in taking control of things.
  • Thank you all so much for advise and support, I have been taking it for a few days now, I have to take it in the evening as it made me a bit drowsy, although I cannot feel effects yet I do feel better as I feel as if I am taking control of things again.
  • hiya ive just been described these to day and have just read the comments above on them as i was worried about taking them now i no there ok i havent told my mum as she would tell me not to take them but if the doctor n these othere people say they work im going to take mine x x x
  • It's still early days for me but taking the pills has felt like the first step, I hope you begin to feel better soon and if you fancy a chat or anything feel free. x
  • Hiya, I used fluoxetine (which is a brand name for prozac) a few years ago when I had depression. I really wanted to say, don't worry about what people think about you taking tablets. There really is not the same stigma attached to antidepressants these days, and certainly I think in the medical world it's as normal as prescribing antibiotics!
    I found the tablets kept me on an even keel, probably stopped me feeling worse but I also think they made me feel a bit numb. I'm glad I took them and think they really served they're purpose for the time but for me I don't think the tablets were a long term solution. Although I'm sure for some people they're all that's needed but I think for most, in the long term, it may be more beneficial to look at counselling, other therapies, lifestyle changes etc. Just a thought.
    I can't remember any side affects and had no problem stopping them, just slowly reduced the dose.
    Also it's a shame your oh doesn't believe in depression as it's definitely a real, serious thing, I think it would really help if he could understand how you are feeling. Can you give him some leaflets or something to read?! If not I think it really helps to have someone to talk to about your feelings, even if it's just us lot!
    Good luck, I hope you feel better. xx
  • i have been on them before... but the few things that i would say is do NOT come of them without speaking to your doctor as i came of them and had very bad withdrawel symtoms.. i was very sucidal... the best thing i would suggest is talking to someone when ever you feel the need to, even if you are going over the same thing...find some one who has similar prob i.e depression...people are the best surport, and sometimes the last people we should talk to is our close friends and family, people out side the circle is best... this website has girls who have been there and are in the moment... if you need to talk i am here, depression can feel like a lonely and confusing place
  • I have taken prozac before for depression.My GP was also good and got me counselling as well which was a great help.My o/h was less than supportive too.Its a case of well you haven't got a broken arm/leg which he could see so just pick your face up and smile!! If only it had been that easy!!! As said by yum MUM don't come off them without speaking to your Dr first.It'll take a couple of weeks for tablets to get into your system before you'll feel the benefits.I hope you feel better soon.Take care xx
  • Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.