Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

How can you tell?

I have suffered from depression badly for the last 4 years (since my mum died) and it got worse 2 years ago when I went a build up of things led to me trying to commit suicide. Up until 4 months ago I was seeing a really crap consultant and I took anti-depressants til I fell pregnant!

I love my kids to bits but at the moment I want to shut them in the house as I am petrified something is going to happen to them.

I only had Tommy by c/section 4 wks ago and I absolutely idolise him but I am soooo scared something is going to happen to him! It is all made worse because for the last 3 wks I have had a group b strep infection in in c/section scar and it doesnt seem to be going! I am petrified I am going to pass it onto him!

My doctor is bloody useless - I knew I had an infection and she tried to pass it off, I had to fight to get a swab done. Am meeting the health visitor again on Thursday - should I just mention it to her?

I have got some of the tablets I was on before - should I just take these and hope this feeling goes!

Is this PND or my depression back again coz I really dont want to go back to that place again. I should be over the moon right now, A recent move has given me my ideal house and then my gorgeous baby boy! I am sat here sobbing as I type this, and I just dont know why!!!!

Replies

• Oh hu you poor thing.I've suffered from depression for many years on and off.Not as bad as you seem to have had it though.Your health visitor should do an Edinburgh depression score on you.I'd mention how you feel as well.Having a baby can be very overwhelming.I wouldn't start taking the tablets you have left.Wait and speak to health visitor or even make an appointment to see a different Gp if there is one at your practice.Most anti depressants take a couple of weeks to get into your system before you'll feel any benefits from them anyway.Your GP would/should keep a regular contact with you just to check all is ok.
    I hope you feel better soon.Let us know how you get on.Take care xx J
  • Hello

in my (humble) opinion you sound more anxious than depressive - i was told that anxiety is where we worry about what might happen wnere depression is thinking about stuff that already has happened. Unfortunately - I have had both! I had pnd with my first and perinatal anxiety induced depression at 13 wks preg with my 2nd. The best thing is that you have recognised you are not feeling right now you just have to speak to your gp and don't leave until he/she assures you that youare being supported. take care of yourself