Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

whats it all about?

i've been doing the pnd test on net mums for the last couple of weeks sort of keeping an eye on myself and my score was 13 but i'm now at 15. i feel fed up, fat, and cant be bothered to do anything. instead of doing something constructive whilst lo is sleeping i am leaving myself and the house in a complete mess and sitting down apu! thing is i know i probably should be going to dr or hv but i dont really feel comfortable with saying how i am feeling, i'm a sort of bottle it all up kind of girl and dont like the idea of showing my weakness, and i dont particularly like my hv which doesnt help, she doesn't have a very friendly vibe.
i was just wondering how others went about getting help, i dont even know if i need it or if this is something i just need to snap out of myself, its certainly not an everyday feeling but i'm not enjoying it. is there a difference between depression and pnd or is it the same thing, i dont really understand i just know i feel like cr*p. any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Replies

• I'm very similar in I bottle things up and I was in denial anything was wrong. I never did the test until after I was diagnosed (just out of interest). I didn't have contact with my health visitor as she only came to see me once then went on mat leave herself, but even in front of my family I put on an everythings fine front. I only ended up going to the docs because oh forced me too. He basically gave me an ulimatum of get sorted or I'm walking as I was doing some awful things to both myself and him.
    It really is worth speaking to ur doc about how you're feeling and mine was lovely with me. I think I just walked in the room and burst into tears. We discussed if i wanted anti-d''s which I did, however I have been back this week and decided to stop taking them as I want to be able to "cope" myself.
    I have to say hv hasn't been involved at all. One rang me about 3 weeks ago asking how I was and I was on the phone for about 2 mins, so don't worry about having to discuss things with hv. All my contact and help has been with doc and he wants me to keep going back to keep an eye on me for the next few weeks anyway.
    Sorry i'm a bit rambly but hope you feel better soon x
  • thank you, i think i'll just give myself more time and see if i can snap out of it, maybe see if i can get away for a few days to my parents or something i dont know but i cant stay in this house forever thats for sure
  • Hope getting away works but def keep an eye on urself as I think the worse you feel the harder it gets to drag yourself out of it.
    Take care and hope u start to feel better soon x