Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

Have been diagnosed with PND - what do I do now?

Hi everyone,

My hv diagnosed me with PND last week and I am due to see the doctor next week but I don't really know what to do about it. Everyone just keeps telling me I need to get out more and meet more new mums as they will be understanding, but half of the problem is that I feel very anxious about going out and meeting new people. I have always been quite shy anyway but now I feel even worse. I am fine going out and about when I am with my mum or my OH but when I go anywhere by myself (especially in the car) with LO I get very anxious and so end up not doing it.

I am also feeling really crappy about my weight, I still have 2 stone to loose before I get back to my pre-baby weight and now that the sun is here I can't fit into any of my summer clothes and really don't want to go out and buy new clothes in a bigger size.

I feel so guilty as I should be taking Isabelle out for walks and getting her lots of fresh air and to begin with I was doing this and it felt great but now I just keep putting it off for one reason ar another.

What can I do to help myself?

Replies

• Hi hun, firstly if your not up to going out dont worry about it. Can you take lo into the garden for fresh air? As for the weight issue i cant help as i am still 3 stone heavier than i was before Ellie was born but could you buy oue of those post natal excersise dvds that involves you and the baby? That would be fun for your lo and help you shift some pounds.
    Is your gp going to put you on meds? or would you prefer councelling? x
  • When you see your GP he will advise you whether he thinks meds or counselling would work best. I have only a limited experience of counselling (had it for about 8 sessions) but tbh I didn't get that much out of it.
    I have experience of meds and if this is the way the doc reccommends then I would strongly advise that you listen to him. My sis in law didn't listen and contiuned to suffer on her own for two years before she eventually gave in and got help. She is now doing much better on medication.

I tend to find that ppl have a mixed range of feelings about it and although its not something I try to hide from family and friends I don't tend to talk about it much. Do talk to your oh tho coz it is a very difficult time for him too and alot of ppl forget that he is going through this too.

If you take tablets they will take a few weeks to take effect and you may even feel a bit flat for a while but stick with it.

Do try to get out if you can coz the longer you leave it the worse you will be. I know how you feel about the weight and clothes etc but tbh if you do buy yourself one or two cheaper pieces you will feel better coz you look better if you know what I mean. If you plan on any more children look at it that you can wear them again after them or sell them on e bay.

Keep chatting to the girls on here coz when your having a down day just writing it down is a relief sometimes.

Sorry for the long post!!! It is a subject close to my heart as I have suffered twice (have 3 kids) so I know where your at.
  • I know exactly how you are feeling with the weight issue and Summer. I can't fit into any of my Summer clothes and this is getting me even more down. I have had PND for about 7 months now and I find that talking to my other half helps. When the doctor put me onto meds she also gave me some Diazipan (sp?) to take until the meds kicked in and they worked a treat.
    Regarding the weight issue, I went out yesterday and got 2 baggy vest tops from H & M and a couple of skirts. It cost me about ??35, but because they hide a lot of my fat, I do feel more confident wearing them. Just have to stop the anxiety attacks now and deal with the profuse sweating!
  • hi hun, i've been on meds now since last may. I was on fluoxetine at first and then was changed to citalapram as i was told this would take the edge off. I still suffer panic attacks and like you am nervous to go out by myself with Holly. I started seeing a CBT and have had 2 sessions. The therapy is good but i still feel like i need to talk to others about it and i think this forum is great. You just need to take 1 day at a time and dont let anyone rush you.

I seem to be going on a bit but i know how you feel. I struggle to take Holly walks on my own as well.

As with the weight, i;m still heavier as well. I saw that Diane had said about a post natal DVD. If anyone knows where i could get one can they let me know.

Take care, everyone is here to support you and each other
  • I think I have been in a bit of denial to be honest, I have just been thinking - oh it will go away soon. I am starting to think that that isn't the case and I am fooling myself. Although my hv has been great I still feel like I don't have a lot of support. My oh is good sometimes but other times he is very stressed with work and we clash a bit image My mum is trying to understand but after 5 kids and never suffering from pnd I am not sure she fully understands, she thinks that me getting out more is the answer!!!! To be honest my hv has been the same - I need to get out and meet people!! I am so sick of people telling me to get out more!!

I didn't see the doctor in the end, the day of my appointment she had rang in sick - the irony!! I know I need to make another appointment but haven't got round to it as it means sitting on the phone trying to get through for ages!

It helps to come on here and talk - it is amazing how much easier it is when you are typing away rather than actually saying at aloud!
  • my hv kept sending me to groups and parent and baby things with holly, i tried my best with them but my nerves took over and never really made it. Its easy for people to tell you to get out more, but not so easy to do it. I'm probably repeating myself here, take it slow and 1 day at a time until you feel ready. A little goes a long way as they say. Keep coming on here to let it out and keep us updated with how you are getting on. I'm so glad i found this forum. I wish i had seen this at the beginning.

Please take care and keep in touch. I find it good to share with people who are going through the same
  • Mrs AJ, plz make that app to see dr hun. I know its a pain in the arse (our old dr's, we wud have to start ringing dead on 9am to try and get thru so I do understand that bit) but you really do need to get urself seen. Talking about stuff is good, don't get me wrong, but sometimes, like I did, you need that help of medication to regain that bit of control back. I had seperation anxiety and panic attacks on top of my PND and would refuse to leave the house by myself but gradually, I managed to take back control of that part of myself - take things day by day, set sml, reachable goals and feel proud when you achieve it!! My best day after starting on pills for my PND was about 4 wks down the line when I set a goal to go to the corner shop by myself and did it without freaking or panicing!!!