Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

Do I have PND?

Ever since Tarran was born, I find myself bursting into tears for no reason at all. At least no consious reason. When he starts screaming for food, I find myself wanting to shout at him because I cant take the screaming. But this doesn't happen every time he's hungry.

Sometimes I feel that I cope perfectly well. I can play with him, talk to him, make him laugh. Other times I just want to put him on the floor and do nothing with him. When I feel like this, I dont want to feed him, look at him, change him.

Trouble is I think, I feel like Im a single parent most of the time because OH is usually more interested in other things. I cant talk to my HV because frankly, shes a waste of space and trying to get into see a doctor these days is like pulling teeth.

Replies

• Sounds like your feeling quite trapped like me. How old is your lo? I had Oliver 6weeks ago and the same as you, most of the time i love feeding him changing him etc and go all cooey and chattery with him, but there are times when i too just want to shout.
    Its an awful feeling because we love our babies so talking about it is difficult, i asked myself if he even needed me last week!
    When i speak to my other half, he just says he feels sorry for me.......
    I'm considering going to a local mums group to try and curb this isolated feeling im experiencing- don't know if you would do that too?
    PND is a strong term but is does happen in mild forms so yes i think you are suffering, you need people in the same situation as you to offer advice and comfort. Go to your doctor though they can help.... hope things look up for you huni x
  • Most definitely go to your docs, I think I left it far too late (Lucas is now 6 months) but about 2 months ago, I broke down in front of my best friend & she told me to go to the docs, I did, and he prescribed me meds, I now feel 90% better, there are still the odd moments when I can't be bothered to get out of bed in the morning, but before the meds, the whole motherhood thing was a chore, I was only doing things because I HAD to, rather than i wanted to, didn't enjoy playing with him, didn't enjoy anything really, bursting into tears over everything...
    There are so many varying degrees of PND, but if you're in any doubt, don't suffer on your own, I kept thinking that it was just 'baby blues' and that it was going to get better, the way I was feeling was the way that all mothers felt, but it never got any better for me.
    There is help out there!
    xx