Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Does she have PND?

Hi ladies,

Just wanting a bit of advice. My friend has just had her 1st baby 13 days ago. Went to see her on Friday and then on Monday and am concerned she is borderline PND. This may be a lot to read so I apologise:

She was 2 weeks overdue and so had to be induced on the Monday. After trying everything possible to induce her, she was taken for a C-section on the Thursday. Then there was some problem with the baby. Nothing major but the Dr didn't want her to leave the hospital until it was fully checked out so she didn't get to go home until the Sunday, so she effectively spent almost a week in hospital. This has also meant her other half's paternity leave started when she was in hospital so had to go back to work this week. She has also been having problems with BF. She was very close to having mastitis on Monday until her mother phoned the midwife to get her round to check her out. She has only been visited by the midwife the Monday after getting out of hospital and then again the Monday just gone. She was also meant to come round today to see how she was doing.

My friend is still so emotional. I remember myself being very easy to burst into tears for a while after giving birth, however she seems to be crying almost all the time. She has mentioned that she feels out of her depth at the moment. I don't know whether it is because she hasn't had much support from any HVs or midwives and is hopefully now getting it. Her mother suffered from PND with her 2 kids and she is concerned that my friend has PND too. I don't want to say anything to her as I don't want to push her over the edge and make it look like people think she isn't coping.

I need some advice as to whether this is possibly just circumstantial or whether maybe all these things are making her have PND, or maybe she is letting these things get to her so much because she has PND. I wouldn't be surprised if she has it due to her first 2 weeks of being a mum are no-one's ideal. I am going to see her again tomorrow and don't really know how to broach the subject without upsetting her.

Sorry this has rambled but I really don't know what to do for the best and as I have no experience of PND and am not a medical expert at all I just don't have a clue on whether to say something or not.

Thanks for taking your time to read this x

Replies

• I was 2 weeks overdue and then had a pretty traumatic birth and was subsequently diagnosed with PND at 3 months but if I'm honest with myself my mood dropped dramatically after about day 3 and never picked up. However as it was my first baby I didn't really know whether it was PND or not. My over riding feeling was of feeling overwhelmed the whole time - sounds similar to your friend.

It is a difficult situation as the stigma attached to depression and especially PND is huge. Perhaps approach by saying the baby blues are normal especially after her experience but that it should pass in a couple of weeks but if it doesn't it could be PND. I really appreciated any comapny before I evetually got medication as when I was on my own or at the end of the day was when it was worse. Even regular phone calls will help reassure,

Not sure this helps but if it is PND the earlier it is picked up and traeted the better!!
  • Thanks. Didn't go to see her today as she said her mum was round. Her mum is keeping a close eye on her too. I have said that being hormonal and easy to cry is natural, and she has been making jokes about it which I took too be a good sign, but her mother isn't so sure. Am going to see her again next week so will see how she is then. I do think it is made worse when she can't BF and would hate for her to have to go on anti-depressants which mean she can't BF anymore. Hopefully with the midwife coming to see her 2 days in a row she will pick up on it if she has PND.

Thanks for your help x