Forum home Babies Postnatal depression

do i have pnd?

Hi im glad this has been added,im wondering if i have post natal depression or im just down,whatever im pretty much a mess right now!let me explain alittle..im a single mom me and babies dad couldnnt make it work and almost right from Benji being born ive done it alone,we now have no contact at all,which i did and still do think is rather childish but he wanted it this way,he does see his son once a week but his parents pick him up,ect...im not going back to my old job as it would include alot of weekends and im not prepared to work those anymore plus child care ect...i dont see my friends very often so feel very alone most of the time!afew months ago i started a new relationship that seemed to be going really well,or at least this was my feeling,just a couple of days ago he ended it blaming the distance was becoming to much..we live an hours drive away from each other.I was startng to feel down about 2wks ago but seein him helped me alot but now we are over i just feel worse,cant eat or sleep and just cry al the time i want to be back to normal but just cant ,i start to feel ok then it just hits me all at once again..im thinking of going to docs after bank hol,i told my mum who said not to as pills wont help and i need to pull myself ouuta it!!!she is there for me but doesnt think anti deppresants work,knowing this now makes it hard to confide in her but i have no one else.i feel like ive been through so much crap in the last 2yrs and now it just feels like it will never end..im scared of being on my own forever as i want a relationship and more children.Im making steps to look for a part time job and join a gym to get me out of the house and to meet ppl..just knowing others out there feel like poop helps and nice to offload..sorry if such a rant and moan.life is just horrible at the minute

Replies

• Hi hun, can i be honest?i think your in a rut, i think life has just got very dull and every-dayish if you know what i mean. Every day seems exactly the same. I wouldnt worry about your ex, either of them. You will find someone who deserves you and your little boy. You do need to get out of the house more and have some you time. Can your mum look after you lo for one or two evenings a week so you could get a part-time job? i know its not great but its still getting out and meeting people and you get paid for it.
    If your doc says you need anti-depressants then you should take them. I did and i never told my mum that i had PND at all as she is like your mum and is of the opinion that you should just get on with things and grow up, its all part of being a mum but if i hadnt of taken the tablets i swear i dont think my hubby would still be here or that i would love my baby now. Im off the tablets completely now and still feel like shit some days but it is getting easier. Let me know how you get on at the doctors and feel free to come on here to rant any time you want hun, im always here to listen. x
  • its good that looking for part time work and starting the gym, its a good start for making yourself feel better. go to the docs hun, they can tell you how depressed you are and won't force you to take tablets, they can give advice and find you somebody to talk to (if that would help)
    i'd forget about men and concentrate on yourself and your l/o for now, make sure you get out of the house every day and take time for yourself, even if its just a long bath or a hot cuppa tea!

just thought i'd add that people that say "pull yourself out of it" really wind me up (no offense to your mum, lol!) if your depressed you can't help how you feel! and anti-d's DO work!!!!!!!!

i'm here too hun offload all you like image
  • Go to the doc's hun, explain excactly how ur feeling - just as you have here. There's no shame in taking anti-depressants, especially if they help you recover a bit of yourself! I've been on mine nearly 9 months now, although I am weaning off them currently as am expecting again. If I hadn't gone on them, I would not have got thru a lot of crap last year! Friends and family support helps too but understandably, ur mum might not be quite so understanding that you need that sort of help - this is where a plce like this comes in handy......we're all here for each other and it's nice to have somewhere to go where everyone understands what ur going thru.

Feel free to add me to messenger, if u have it, I'm online every day - come n offload, share, have a giggle......it all helps hun and you don't have to go thru it alone image
    colman1192@hotmail.co.uk