Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hurtful Words

I was diagnosed with my PND 2 weeks after my son was born - he is now 2 years and 5 months. I was really beginning to get back on track and we are now trying for baby 2. I had an argument with my neice 4 months ago and she sent me a really rude text message. When I received it , I was so upset and really triggered my PND. Since then she has refused to apologise and we haven't spoken. My husband spoke to her Mum last night (his Sister) and she told him that I hadn't had PND, she has 3 children and suffered from the baby blues, that was what i had. WHen he told her my doctors had diagnosed it, she told him that doctors will prescribe anti-depressants to anyone! I was so upset - PND was the worst thing I have gone through and it is really hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there. I was just so upset that she disbelieved me for all this time.

Sorry for the long post - just needed to get that off my chest

Replies

• Don't feel bad! Unless somebody has suffered the trauma of PND - and for me it felt like trauma - then they can't and shouldn't comment! It is only with people who have been through PND that I feel comfortable discussing it! I couple of years down the line I'm also contemplating a second child and some days I find it difficult to imagine it happening again!

Your SIL obviously has no idea what you have been through.
  • i agree so many people think PND just goes away, after a few months, and i for one know thats not the case, (6 years on mine hasnt gone)

be proud of how far you have come and take no notice of her, xxxxxx