Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Could I have PND?

I have 2 children, the youngest 4 months. I had a terrible pregnancy, very stressful and the problems that caused the stress are still there. My husband doesnt think I have PND, he thinks I am just suffering from stress but I am not sure. I have a wonderful HV but she isn't coming for another month and I don't want to ask her to visit as I don't really know what to say when I ring. I don't know how to tell her how I feel over the phone so she will come out but at the same time I do want to tell her. If I tell you ladies how I feel I just wondered if anyone recognises these and thinks I should do anything. These symptoms are from NHS website about PND. I have 13 of the 15 symptoms but my husband also says that a lot of these symptoms are stress induced. I am worried my HV will think I am not a good mummy and my husband will think he has married a lunatic (I had an episode of depression before the birth of my first child which required medication)

low mood for long periods of time (a week or more)

feeling irritable for a lot of the time

tearfulness

panic attacks or feeling trapped in your life

difficulty concentrating

lack of motivation

lack of interest in yourself and your new baby

feeling lonely

feeling guilty, rejected or inadequate

feeling overwhelmed

feeling unable to cope

difficulty sleeping and feeling constantly tired

physical signs of tension, such as headaches, stomach pains or blurred vision

lack of appetite

reduced sex drive

I would appreciate peoples opinions

xxx

Replies

• Hi,

I think the trick to differentiate the symptoms from just 'day to day' stresses or a mental health problem is to ask yourself how long these symptoms have lasted for. Is it a brief period of 'stress' your going through or has it become something more?

Ive had two episodes, both required medication, one required a sectioning..both times I just could not get myself out from under this black cloud, then i knew i needed help. We all have stressful periods but once they roll out and life becomes smooth again its OK.

I don't know if i have made any sense but HV or a GP can help you, you are most definitely not a bad mummy..if not a better mother by asking for help to get yourself better for your children. There is a bright sunny cloud waiting for you image

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

xx
  • Thanks for your reply. I have seen both my gp and hv and have been referred to the peri natal mental health team who say I do have PND. I feel better just having talked about it and knowing that I will get better from this. Thanks for replying x