Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help me, please?

I got pregnant at 14 and kept it a secret I til I was 7and a half months gone, I was fine leading up to it and also a few days after but then j started to feel down and was crying for no reason, I couldn't bond with my son because I felt like I wasn't good enough, I was diagnosed with PND but I don't take any medication. I got better but now three years on I still have those days/weeks where I feel worthless, not good enough and guilty. Have I still got PND and if so what should I do about it?:/

Replies

• Every mom has moments when she feels guilty about "not doing enough" or not being "good enough".  I don't think its PND.  You are still very young but you are your child's mommy and you can do this.  Devote whatever time and resources you have available to your child and don't be afraid to ask for help from family or friends who care for you.  In Africa we have a saying "It takes a village to raise a child".

Don't beat yourself up.  Assess what your child's needs are, try to meet them as best you can and ask for help!! 

• Sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time. You might benefit from some form of psychological input, it sounds to me like it was quite a traumatic time for you and you were so young. I'd recommend visiting your GP and ask about psychology.
  • I feel too ashamed, I feel like they will judge me and think that I'm a bad mother
  • No they won't, honestly, they will be pleased you've sought help!! image
  • The fact that you are trying to get help will prove that you are not a bad mother and tht you are wanting to do the best for your son x
  • hey sophie x

i too was a young mum and kept my pregnancy a secret for a good while x your not alone, my sons nearly 5 and iv recently went back to see my mental health worker as i feel talking to someone who can help make sense of how i feel and thoughts help x my doc told me once uv had depression itl always come back its how you handle it that makes a difference, i was on mediciation as i was really bad but didnt like the way they made me feel so i stoped and spoke to someone which i find helps me an awful lot x

your not a bad mum! your son doesnt care how old you are, where you live, what job u do all he knows and needs is how u love him and as long as you do your best your son will always love u x

if you need a chat mesg me x
  • This is the thing with PND it makes u isolate yourself because the main symptom of it is feeling worthless not good enough an that your always being judged (judging urself) you always compare yourself to other mums an it is a horrible feeling. i was diagnosed with it after i had my son 3 years ago an yes i still feel like a crap mum. You need to seek help hun, i now see a counsellor an it does help. xx 

Dont feel alone an dont feel like your going to be judged or that any type of punishment will happen to you because you seek help xx