Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is this Postnatal Depression?

my biological Mum gave me up as a baby due to postnatal depression. And I have a history of depression. My son is 6 months old and Sometimes I get thoughts like what if I don't want him I don't want him I'm

So irritable and sad anddown. Could it be postnatal depression making me have the thoughts that I don't want him. I love him to bits he's just such hard work sometimes. I'm often tearful. Please someone? 

Replies

• Options

Hi Freddiesmummy14. I don't know if you have PND or not but I do know that it's quite normal to feel tearful and exhausted and irritable when you've got a little baby. I know I did a lot. I felt down quite a lot, and sad.

Have you talked to anyone else about how you feel? Do you have a partner you can share your feelings and worries with? Or a nice health visitor?

• Options

yeah I sspeak to my partner. But he says if I don't want him to get rid of him but I coukdnt cos I love him. My brain is just a mess. image. I was hoping it was just pnd and that it would pass. X 

• Options

Hey, have you been to your GP? You might need to get back on some antidepressants, as the first year with a baby is super tough.

I speak from experience - having had depression quite some time ago, when i had my first baby, i couldn't eat, had no energy at all, couldn't find any happiness even though i had this amazing little girl, and i could feel 'the darkness' as i call it creeping up on me. I was sooo emotional, felt like a total failure.

I went straight back on the antidepressants which helped stop me getting worse, and turned things around.

Please go see your GP hon, sooner the better x

• Options

Hi, sounds like pnd to me! I had it also and it took my sister in law to tell me I had it! 

If you ring your health visitors they can ask you a couple of simple questions that can show you it's classic pnd. The Drs can help with medication but the health visitors will schedule extra home visits to help you out.

your partner sounds super helpful telling you to just get rid of him! For goodness sake... You need help and support not a man who can't be bothered! Trust me it's normal to feel this way please don't beat yourself up about it. There were countless amounts of times where I could have easily left my little girl with someone else but actually for her to have been gone forever would have killed me as I loved her to bits. I used to have thoughts like what would I do if something terrible happened to her? How would I feel etc etc. Be gentle with yourself you I'm sure are doing a fabulous job as a mum of a very young baby still. Xx

• Options

Iv been on them but they make my anxiety a million times worse. image. X 

• Options

Doodl is right, call your health visitor ASAP. You might need to try several medications before one works. You know they can take a month or so to kick in, so hang in there. And if you need help or support, just keep posting here. x