Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dealing with postnatal depression whilst pregnant again

im just wondering if anyone has any advice or experiences on having postnatal depression 6 months after having a child? And being pregnant at the same time? Ive been to see a gp today, and offered antidepressants but wondering weather to take them as she said it could cause defects with my Unborn baby. Just a bit unsure of what to do because i need to take them really so i can get better but i dont want to harm my baby. 

Replies

• Hi there hope you ok? I suffered servre pnd with intrusive thoughts also I couldn't stop thinking about so many negative things and no Matter what i just couldn't get them out my head I just couldn't stop thinking....I was on antidepressants prior to getting pregnant and continued to take them. During my pregnancy i was on citolpram 20mg , my daughter is now 12 weeks and perfectly fine. I would speak to ur midwife also as they are much more supportive than the doctors... I was referred to a metal health midwife he kept a close eye on me, i gqve birth naturally and all was fine , I breast fed for a weeks and felt great but as soon as I stopped my hormones went all over again and had to go back to doctors to have my dosage increased which I have been taking for 3 weejs today..:it's taken a while for my body to adapt to the increased dose but since last weekend I'm beginning to feel like me again, I just felt so low like everything was dark and like I had a cloud over my head I just felt in a world of my own, I am slowly starting to feel like me again, regaining my appitite being able to watch tv and interactive again with others ect as I couldn't concentrate on much else other than my negative mindset , my partner was the one who forced me back to the gp as he found me in the downstairs toilet sat on the top of the seat hysterically crying! this will pass I promise you, its the worst thing I have ever had to go through.... if u need a chat or anything im here. Xxx

• Thankyou so much for your reply and sharing your experience i know its such a difficult subject for a lot of people. They have reffered me to a mental health midwife too so i am hoping they will reassure me on taking the medication and making me feel a bit better. Its so scary because i dont want to take something that could potentially hurt the baby in anyway xx

• I understand your concerns I searched high and low on google for the answers and advice, there is a 2 percent chance of a birth defect , the midwife said it was a higher risk me not taking them and having an unhappy pregnancy! rest assured these feelings will pass and only u can make the descision. Good luck! let me know how u get on and congrats on the pregnancy! Xx