Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Postnatal Depression - Looking for support

Hey there, 

I'm Lizzie and I am just trying to reach out to some other women who are suffering with postnatal depression or who have beaten it. My daughter is 2 and a half and I am still struggling. I am worried that I am never going to get past this. How long could it possibly last? 

I am on medication and I see 2 Psychiatrists and a Psychologist. I have been through many medication changes and have had TMS. I am stable enough that I don't need ECT but I don't really want to go down that road as it might end up effecting my job. It's terrible, I work in the health care industry and I believe that if people know what is wrong with me they might use it against me (could just be my crazy thought too). 

It has been going on since day one really and there are quite a few factors that have lead to what I guess is a prolonged recovery, but I just want to know if there is an end to this? I can't seem to see it and it is destroying my relationship with my beautiful family.

Anyone in a similar boat? Or anyone who had postnatal depression for a while before getting better? Just needing some support.

Replies

• It's very hard to tell about how long it will last and what you can do to help yourself without knowing basic information about your pregnancy,labour and delivery and general situation in your family.if you want you can PM me and I will try to help
  • Hi Lizzie 
    Sound like you've had a range of treatment options professionally.  
    Are your family and friends supportive and helpful? Or too helpful? 
    After the birth of my baby I struggled because the birth didnt go quite to plan.  I planned have some contractions go to hospital get an epidural and then rest until later when baby would be born.  However I was in slow labour for 2 days so barely slept then my contractions ramped up but I wasnt dilated enough for them to keep me and give me the epidural I planned so went home for a couple of hours then back again at which time they agreed to keep me but they werent expecting me to go from 5 to 10cm dilated in 20 minutes which didnt give me the time to get the epidural I wanted .  I ended up getting an episiotomy which I found very difficult to recover from with a new baby.  Breastfeeding didnt go at all well either.  I fell out with my mother in law who had come to help us but I wanted my independence in my baby bubble.  
    I found just getting out of the house helped me.  Walking was great for clearing the mind and refreshing and combining that with coffee and cake  was even better even if it was only at my local Asda.  My Husband (the only person I did want) was working very long hours and I really struggle with this even now.  We went on holiday for a couple of weeks over christmas to spend time with my inlaws and this really helped and changed things for me so much , I was glad to spend time together as a family at last and to have some help and company for us, change of scenery and some fun, not the serious day to day life with struggles and worries.  

• Hi hun, I suffered terribly with PD when my second was born! It took me a while to finally admit it once I did it just seemed to get worse and like I was walking through tar! I never thought it was going to end the feelings I had were awful and usually days of crying and wanting to run away but feeling trapped because I knew I couldn't. My son is 2 in September and it's starting to lift abit now, its still there though but not as bad. There's the odd bad days that crop up but every now and then not as before when it was just a constant rolling on of despair. I'm now getting there with support of course which it sounds like you have. I never got any medication for me though as well, I don't know why tbh I often look back and think why!! Your doing great and it will begin to lift for you. That tar will end up thinning at some point like it has with me and things don't seem as desperate and like a constant battle as they once was! Stay strong !
  • Twixxie - don't know if this will help, but I did suffer after my 3rd, I also had 2 foster children 5 children under 5!! I was exhausted my husband was working away, The doc gave me pills when I sat down I fell asleep - not helpful with 5 little ones so I washed them down the loo and got on with it, yes it did get better 

I do hope you find a solution you could try getting out and making more friends, even a mother and baby club; also every evening think of 10 things large or small that have been good that day, it does help you feel brighter, and yes life always gets better thinking of you...