Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Do I have pnd

Hi

im new on here, I thought I would try and get some advice. I have a 4 month old baby boy and a 19 month toddler. Since having my baby in lock down I have had very little help, only help is from my husband. I have not felt like me since having my new baby. I don’t like going out much, not even to supermarket shop as it’s just allot of hassle with little ones. I have found myself being down and angry with my toddler. I have also abused alcohol on a couple of occasions and embarrassed myself and felt so bad the next day. Am I just a bit down and stressed? Or could this be pnd? I had a bit of depression in the past as I was in a job that I hated but I got through that on my own. Can anyone give me some advice, would really love to chat. 

Replies

• Hi Hun, people experience pnd differently, if you’re not feeling like you and feel it’s effecting your life, your ability to look after your kids how you would like then definitely speak to your doctor. I struggled after my daughter with anxiety and panic attacks and didn’t really put 2&2 together until my husband mentioned it about a year later. I went on a beta blocker and learnt some coping mechanisms. I feel much more hope that when my current munchkin comes I can cope better. But you’re not alone sweet and you’re doing nothing wrong, lockdown has been hard but you’ve got 2 kiddies and a bunch of hormones still Floating around as well. Be kind to yourself x 
  • Hi VRob123

thanks so much for your response. Makes me feel better that I’m not on my own and totally didn’t even consider my hormones, I guess I’m still adjusting to this new life and it’s a bit overwhelming. Xx
  • It’s all a huge transition, big hugs xx 
  • Hi
    I can so relate to this, was diagnosed three weeks ago by my GP. 
    Going from having a routine with work and being very social to this ickle person being so dependent on me and not having a routine made my head spin.  I feel incredibly lonely even though im not in my head I am. Its been a huge shock to the system and with the current situation with Covid-19 its made it worse. Also no one spoke about what the days and weeks are like when you bring your baby home. Ive put so much pressure on myself the past 11 weeks that i feel like my brain is unorganised and chaotic (sorry if that does not make sense). 
    Its good to hear that others do go through this as it can be extremely lonely and hard to speak to those who are close.