Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty training success

Hi guys, great news my son Tom has mastered potty traing, he is 2 and 4 mth.

Just wanted little advice-havent been brave enough to take nappy off at night yet,and he is getting upset at having to wear one at night,his nappy has been dry last 5 mornings

Would you let him wear undies at night or give it another week? he has only cracked it in last fortnight x

image cheers x      So proud of him,how cute are tiny underpants???!!!!

Replies

• Well done Tom.That's brilliant.
    Don't take the nappy off at night till it comes off dry at night.They often have no control at night for many months after being potty trained.Erin,now 6,did it at 2 years,although trained in the day from 21 months.Arthur was 3 1/2 though fine in the day from 2 years 3 months.
    If Tom's upset by the nappy try pull ups.We call them sleeping pants.My 2 year old has Disney princess ones.I think the boy ones by Huggies are Cars or something similar.They work as good as a nappy,but your little one doesn't need to know that.I just tell Arwen they're sleeping pants,and she uses them just like real pants,she's very happy to go get them at bed time.
    Dry at night will come with time,pretty much by itself
  • Thats a great idea thanks for that,wow your daughter Erin was quick.

I shall try pull ups-thankyou. All new to me! Quite sad as well as proud,means he is growing up fast!

• I was a bit sad with Arwen this time.I thought she's never old enough,but she did,and the little pants and vests were so cute.I had to go a bit OTT of course,and I bought proper pyjamas too,and she went in a big bed the same time too.Everything was Peppa Pig,the pants,vests,pyjamas,bedding.I can't even try to pretend I didn't enjoy the shopping.
    I always think of my youngest two as "the babies" cos they're close in age,so I sometimes have to remind myself Arwen's nearly 2 1/2.
  • Yeah but they are still babies to us even at 2 and half. (prob will be til 22)!

What will I be like when he starts school if im emotional at potty training!

Was having mild panic attack at the thought of playgroup,its not til september and only 9am til 12,but still think he's too young!! I need help!

Either that or counselling      image

• I refuse to send Arwen till she's 3.The school nursery used to take them just in September.She would start at 3 and 8 months,which I can just about deal with.Due to new improved school/nursery buildings being built at our school, and their new way of doing it they now take them in January too.She'd be 3 and 1 month,and she'd have to go 5 mornings,they only do a full week.I don't think I'm happy with that.
    I think because we have so many at home,mine always have company,we probably have as many toys as the nursery too.As long as they're not bored.I'm just not sharing,that's the truth,keeping them all to myself as long as I can
  • Hey you probably have more toys than the nursery.

Yeah big debate at mo in our house, I think 2 is too young even if it is only twice a week for the morning.

All my friends seem to be telling me Im not doing him any favours by not sending him,the september after he has to go to reception at the school 5 mornings,but he will be 3 and 9mth then.

I know its a horrid thing to say but I think theyre saying that to justify the fact they all work f/t and obviously their children have attended nursery from 9mth.

My fella thinks he should go,mainly to get him making new friends,he is a little sensitive and shy.

Im still undecided image

• It'll probably be fine,he'll enjoy it.It will be good for his confidence,and it is only two mornings.I'm just not sending mine till I have to.There's no shortage of rowdy company in our house to boost a little one's confidence Our school nursery starts the term after they're 3,but I'll wait till the September cos I'm not having her go 5 days so soon.You get precious little time with them as it is before they have to go to school.
  • Thanks for that,still need someone with me the day I do take him,even if its September or next Semptember!!!!

He tried pull-ups last nite,we had slight leaking accident,but to be perfectly honest that was better than upset before bed.

Thomas tha tank sheets now blowing on the line and Tom didnt cry before bed,he'll wear them again tonight!

• Evening all

Riley was really good wiht potty training and has been dry all day since just b4 his 3rd birthday but night time he really wants to loose the pull ups but his a problem child for drinking loads of water,no matter if he goes to the loo b4 bed he sometimes wakes up for a drink in the night so have explained best i can to him that he can stop wearing them when his a little better at going to the loo in the night if he wakes.

On the nusery subject,i let riley go to a crech at sure start,it was only a 2hr thing once a wk o a thur afternoon which i knew he loved and it gave us both a break but he never went to nusery till after his 3rd birthday,it was a jan intake and he goes full time this sept. I agree tho that 2 is a little to young to go 2 mornings a week.

• Evening rileys mum!

Yeah it is really,I understand its probably for his benefit confidence wise but I think its too young.

Mind you he will be 2 and 9mth, at 3 and 9mth he has to go 5 mornings a week to reception, I still think thats too young!!!!!!

We have a sure start not to far away-are they good then?

• Hi im Emma bth

Our sure start were great,the staff were great with the kids and its not just the crech they run,theres things for parents and day trips,and all sorts,well worth signing up as they sometimes send out info in the post so you no whats going on.

• Cheers Emma, I will look into that.

We attend 2 mother and baby groups each week,they're ok,have made sum good friends,more importantly really brought Tomos out of his shell.

Hard finding affordable groups round here-I dont work now so really am the budget queen! Managing so far,but wld like to go somewhere else!

• O yeah should have said the crech was only 2pounds for 2hrs,not sure if it has changed now but its still good money for the time. Also have you heard about toy library,you can borrow a toy like a book,they should have info on it if not go to your local library and ask as its free.

I love riley going to nusery as it has also done me good,ive met some mums/friends and the school house(set up for parents)holds free learning courses,ive done a few since his been at nusery,i now have an A-C grade in english(left school with a D)have also done learning wiht language and story sacks and will in a few week start a maths course offering a grade A-C(left school with a D).

Where about are you as i have a mag here called kid around with tons of info on whats going on in the area and most of it is all free.Im in Colchester and it does our surrounding area but i no there is another one for other areas but ot sure what its called.

• Im the only welsh in the village!!!! In Chester hun,you sound like your busy!

Hha Im not telling you what I left school with,but clearly I need to go on these courses!!!!

That sounds really good,Im sure you'll be spoilt for choice for things to do when Riley goes to school.

Not that much around here,but perhaps when Tom goes to nursery ill meet new mums and find out about other groups to take joseff to. Sure start sounds good value.